Security Installer Community

Trade Shows

r24977

Could anybody advise me of any relevent trade show for the security trade. I had the misfortune of attending IFSEC at the NEC last year and as I was not wearing a suit I was pretty much ignored by everybody, also as I do not speak Chinese or Korean 90% of the people exhibiting there should of just left a load a leftlets on a table for all the good they could do. So now my rant is over if anybody knows of any Engineer friendly trade events please let me know :)

r24977

My God It's Full of Stars

Times have changed. IFSEC used to be security co / engineer focused.

Some of the bigger distributers have them now regionally. They might be a better bet for you.

There will be a product release area here soon, so we might be able to create a virtual one etc.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Now you know why I have not been to Ifsec for years.

Last time was as a rep on a stand, got bored wandered off and ended up chatting up the brochure girlies :D

remember going to one at Novatel Hammersmith a time back for an IFSEC SOUTH, i knew the hotels lay out from the many computer fairs that had been held there, so new of the upper level which had not been signposted. the show was not over attended so all the reps uo there were literally drunk as skunks, no doubt from sheer boredom and now having their own little party on expenses.

on seeing me, posibly the only person as in potential client in several hours, one put me in a bear hug saying "hushlow shun - so shwat dya swanna shhhh brrruy", tbh i just fell about laughing perhaps to some extent inebriation from his breath?

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I have been attending IFSEC for the last 6 years, which is not as many as some here but possibly for different reasons, originally as an exhibitor (manned a stand rather than represent my own company), and more recently for sourcing reasons.

I can say that the suit does not matter, its the name on the badge and if the exhibitors recognise it or not. IFSEC is not a place to go without a plan or without preparation. You really need to research product first and identify which stands you want to see before attending. Looking for the next big thing or simply enlightenment, is like looking for a needle in a stack of needles.

If you are looking to identify a local supplier, IFSEC is probably not the place to do it, local suppliers offer the advantage of being available every day and not just a few days in May, use this to your advantage. If you are looking to import, without research you probably will not see the wood through the trees. So many at IFSEC have a brand at one stand and the manufacturer at another, which without research may not be obvious. For sourcing you are better off looking at Secutech or similar.

IFSEC can be valuable but it needs planning and research. Sorry but I am not clear on your reason for attending IFSEC but if its for local supply you do not really need a trade show or the blurb that goes with it.

remember going to one at Novatel Hammersmith a time back for an IFSEC SOUTH,

Arfur

LOL I remember that, our office was up the road. (other end of Fulham Palace Road) Even then we didnt go!

That company is still there, not doing so well though, never mind!

I have been attending IFSEC for the last 6 years, which is not as many as some here but possibly for different reasons, originally as an exhibitor (manned a stand rather than represent my own company), and more recently for sourcing reasons.

I can say that the suit does not matter, its the name on the badge and if the exhibitors recognise it or not. IFSEC is not a place to go without a plan or without preparation. You really need to research product first and identify which stands you want to see before attending. Looking for the next big thing or simply enlightenment, is like looking for a needle in a stack of needles.

If you are looking to identify a local supplier, IFSEC is probably not the place to do it, local suppliers offer the advantage of being available every day and not just a few days in May, use this to your advantage. If you are looking to import, without research you probably will not see the wood through the trees. So many at IFSEC have a brand at one stand and the manufacturer at another, which without research may not be obvious. For sourcing you are better off looking at Secutech or similar.

IFSEC can be valuable but it needs planning and research. Sorry but I am not clear on your reason for attending IFSEC but if its for local supply you do not really need a trade show or the blurb that goes with it.

for the Eye Candy of course whistle.gif.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I did not attend IFSEC to find a local supplier but to find out what was new on the market and also have a chat with people who supply products we already use. The name the badge made no diffence at all but not wearing a suit did make a diffence maybe not when you was an exhibitor but to a lot of people who exhibt nowadays it does. It was my fault for beliving the adverts that IFSEC used :no:

r24977

My God It's Full of Stars

I did not attend IFSEC to find a local supplier but to find out what was new on the market and also have a chat with people who supply products we already use. The name the badge made no diffence at all but not wearing a suit did make a diffence maybe not when you was an exhibitor but to a lot of people who exhibt nowadays it does. It was my fault for beliving the adverts that IFSEC used :no:

I can only transfer my experience, I know that it may not be the same as others.

For me visiting for sourcing reasons (the last 3 year)approaching far eastern suppliers, the name does invoke a different reaction, I am not saying that we have a big name, just a familiar one from previous contacts. IMO The whole suit thing has been decimated by the likes of Steve Jobs (not that he attends IFSEC lol).

Unfortunately, all will have their unique selling points or at least pretend they do, I cannot prove it to you only to say research will pay off big time.

Have to disagree.

Having done IFSEC from both sides can't say attire, in general, makes any difference.

Approach and the type of questions tend to be the main difference in how you get treated.

Archived