Security Installer Community

Funerals - Hey Can Be Enjoyed

arfur mo

when i kick the bucket, i want one of those American jazz type funerals, i.e. sad music for about a minute the bust into some crazy new orleans style jaz - and i don't even like jaz but admire that idea.

i have had unfortunately to attend 2 funerals in the last weeks, my next door neighbour we lost to cancer. who had become one of our closest friends over the nine years we have lived here, so a very sad loss.

at his funeral we learned some of the really typical things about him, from his only son who bravely read a eulogy,

there was lots of it, but the really outstanding funny mentions were -:

he could easier be found on the farms than at school, so mucking out pigs or sorting cow sheds was prefered to maths and he was never happier as a youth, this indirectly led to him being able to attract Carol his future wife, who's initial impression of Dave was how nice he always smelt, but this was actually due to him scrubbing himself down with carbolic, then stealing his dads Palmolive soap to wash again before going to the local dances, had she only known before hand.

when he decided to have a child, in typical style he simply said to Carol "girl, its about time we started breeding", and that was the only discussion on the matter then and ever since.

we also attended Les Bonds funeral. Dave, Carol and Les were long time neighbours and friends fro over 50 years, the Cremation was at the same crematoroium, so obviously even more painful for Carol all being so close together.

so the service starts and the Preacher says 'please take a seat" so i respond in a low (but not low enough) voice "i'll do anything for a discount", this is heard by everyone, but instead of causing upset many started to giggle, including the preacher. it unintentionally set te theme to a more light hearted one

both these guys never ever caused harm or had a bad word for anybody, and neither would cause another to be sad or unhappy, so imo it's a tribute to ther personalities these events while obviously sad , were actually enjoyed.

i hope my eventual passing can also be viewed anywhere near the same.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Already tol my family something similar, either a new orleans jazz band or at the very least, a rock n roll band on the back of a truck. Gospel choir in the church. Then a party, not a wake. Celebrate the life, not mourn the death etc.

Oh yeah, and nobody wears black, and anybody wearing a tie dont get in.

Wonder if it'll turn out that way !

Thats enough morbid stuff, I dont plan to go for at least another 50 years, got too much work on...lol

how old are you Arf?

nearly a verifiability 61 officially, but when the grandkids come over i'm 20 ish! and when they leave i'm 80 ish! :cry:

Arfur

we assembled at a local pub afterwards, instead of the usual sombre respectful mood, all i could hear were comments 'that's the discount guy' followed by giggles, made for lots of people having conversions.

i learned Wickford was once a Farmers Market Town, i also learned that 'The Swan' was the pub you went to if the market had been bad for you, where as another pub (ALDI on its site now) was where you went if you made a profit

The Swan still seems to serve the same sort of purpose for the young to day, as the less succesful driftwood seem to congregate their lol!

Arfur

• 5 weeks later...

When I 'pop me clogs' i'm gonna be cremated and the songs I want them to play is:

Another One Bites the Dust.

Great Balls Of Fire.

and

Burning Ring Of fire.

Thats my send-off sorted in my style of humour too.

Ian.

Archived