Security Installer Community

Hard Wired Or Remote

Hi to all and thanks for the advice.

I too prefer hard wired.

The previous Galaxay was fitted by our friends ADT, but then i canceled the contract and kept the hardware.

Having looked at ADT website, i cannot belive their introductory web price of a basic alarm.

It seems to me that it is too good to be true and you know how the saying goes....

Anyhow i have had one quote so far for a Glaxay G2 hard wired, but they said we fit our own non-branded alarm.

This rang "alarm" bells with me.

However i am in the process of getting further quotes and will come back with the results...

Thanks

ongoing maint and monitoring charges look at their monthly rate and do the maths.

average terrace house 2 up 3 down wired system say £450.00 - £600.00 ish using voice dialler. intalled and bought outright, now i suggest you 'Go Compare' (but watch out for a singing fat man and H&S issues).

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

ongoing maint and monitoring charges look at their monthly rate and do the maths.

average terrace house 2 up 3 down wired system say £450.00 - £600.00 ish using voice dialler. intalled and bought outright, now i suggest you 'Go Compare' (but watch out for a singing fat man and H&S issues).

Arfur

Id agree with arf on the approx figure, but strongly disagree on the speech dialler. IMO and it is only that, a proper signalling device costs the same or even less with modern panels, and is far more reliable etc

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

RJB you are correct it was for G2 system.

I asked them again and they confirmed it.

Waiting for another 2 quotes this week for the same panel.

way i look at it, if i get all the quotes for the same like for like panel i can get get a more accurate comparison for the labour rate.

They all should be in the same ball park, then it boils down to recomendations.

way i look at it, if i get all the quotes for the same like for like panel i can get get a more accurate comparison for the labour rate.

So your looking mainly at cost?

Guest RJBsec

Bear in mind that there are other things to be considered like the installer's credential - if you choose someone who does alarms on a Saturday whilst working for an employer Mon - Fri, you are unlikely to hsve the benefit of full insurance and reliable backup. There is also a wide variety on detection equipment available and both inspected and non-inspected companies.

Id agree with arf on the approx figure, but strongly disagree on the speech dialler. IMO and it is only that, a proper signalling device costs the same or even less with modern panels, and is far more reliable etc

your forgetting the o/p dropped out of the ADT contract, = end of any monitoring, bet he will do the same in a years time and that's his prerogative.

so atm no monitoring wanted, voice dialer while very low grade is better than nothing. the fact on my systems if connected i can dial in and check system condition through it, so is a very big bonus for all sides.

the o/p has to factor in ongoing monitoring/maintenance charges, and issues with accidental operations causing engineer resets and eventually black listing, all those charges can add up to way above what seems a cheap deal at the time.

where as he go's out right sale he may pay a little more initially but year on year save a fortune.

Arfur

(as long as its one of my systems whistle.gif)

if only it were that simple

Arfur

So your looking mainly at cost?

thats harsh James, we all like to get good value and no pa over the odds

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

id agree but i was just trying to get a feel for the op's requirements. many many things are on price alone.

ps op. please dont think that the panel is the only thing to compare on. while its important its realativly simple to change afterwards. the most important part IMHO is the instalation std and correctness. this cannot be fixed or changed without starting again and is where the bulk of your budget will and should go. if someone is going to bash it in, in a day or less id be concerned. dont get me wrong there are some excellent fast installers.... but imho they are the exception not the rule.

I think i get the message on "like 4 like" comparisons.

However, how is one suppose to judge quotes from companies who do not come recommended?

Apart from Dave Partridge can anyone else give me a few companies to call in and around the Wolverhampton/Walsall area?

I want to get one sorted quiet quickly now.

Thanks

Where about are u RJB?

Is it Bristol area only?

I don't fancy picking up the yellow pages and regretting it later.

I think i get the message on "like 4 like" comparisons.

However, how is one suppose to judge quotes from companies who do not come recommended?

Apart from Dave Partridge can anyone else give me a few companies to call in and around the Wolverhampton/Walsall area?

I want to get one sorted quiet quickly now.

Thanks

I think its a difficult question. ie how to compare any company. The best way as you say is recommendation and or seeing their work. But as an untrained buyer how do you know what to look for? Its relativly easy for us to know on checking an install. I would always go with a recommendation, or have a look at freinds / neighbours systems and see who is happy and who isnt. If that isnt possible then you can use an approved co at least you have some backup 'if' problems occur later on.

Archived