Security Installer Community

Which Type Of Cable

tonsai

I'm doing a CCTV TV installation quote for a school for the frist time and cannot decided what cable I should use for the external cameras.

Some of the cable runs are 55 Meters. One camera i have chosen is 12V 3500ma. I was wondering if there would be a big voltage drop on such a long run. I'm considering using CAT5 Baluns instead of the standard shotgun cable. Any comments recommedations welcome. I'm working with an electrician so I could put the power nearer to the Cameras. But what about Video would that reduce in quality over 55M too?

I'm doing a CCTV TV installation quote for a school for the frist time and cannot decided what cable I should use for the external cameras.

Some of the cable runs are 55 Meters. One camera i have chosen is 12V 3500ma. I was wondering if there would be a big voltage drop on such a long run. I'm considering using CAT5 Baluns instead of the standard shotgun cable. Any comments recommedations welcome. I'm working with an electrician so I could put the power nearer to the Cameras. But what about Video would that reduce in quality over 55M too?

Hi there,

If you can get power closer then that would be a better option. The Joys of Ohms Law will start to effect power runs to cameras (depending on enviorment and cable grade) arround the 60 metre mark. Video you can run much further (upto 300m on RG59, again depending on enviroment and cable quality) with out any real problems. Using Baluns will allow you to run video much further, but over such a short run wouldnt really be worth it unless you have some serious EMC/Interferance problems from power sources etc.

just a question, you say t hat you have chosen a camera st 3.5A, is that with housing IR etc? as that seems a bit high.

hope this helps,

cheers,

Dan

You wont be able to draw that sort of current over Cat.5. They recommend only around 300ma and upto 30m distance.

If I were you I'd have a fused spur installed near the camera, to be on the safe side.

Then you can run the video signal back to the DVR either over cat.5 or coax.

just a question, you say t hat you have chosen a camera st 3.5A, is that with housing IR etc? as that seems a bit high.

hope this helps,

cheers,

Dan

My money is that its a Videcon VCP701RH with twin IR's

I've had one on test for a couple of weeks.

Unfortunately It didn't pass with flying colours.

If you are trade (I presume you are) look for trade pricing on that camera. Also that camera will most likely draw around 1 to 1.5 amps, the 3500mA is not a misprint just the recommended power supply from the Xvision range which have a 1.25amp and then the 3.5amp.

Especially with cameras that draw high current (e.g IR Cameras) put the power supply at the camera if possible or as near as possible if not, resistance in the cable/joints will affect the performance of the camera especially at night so you want to minimise this by keeping the PSU close with good quality connections and cable. You should have no problems running video over either option that distance (interferance is possible ofcourse).

I cannot tell you if that camera is suitable for what you are looking to do but if you post more details of what you what to see, size area, lighting conditions, etc. BTW the zoom on that camera is controllable using RS485.

Archived