Security Installer Community

Extending Paxton Net2 System Advice

Hi, I'm new to the forum so please be nice to me if I ask something which is already answered!

We have a holiday park/campsite and operate a Paxton Net2 system in some areas which we are looking to extend. Right now we use prox readers & fobs for staff and 'permanent' customers to enable access to semi-private areas like the swimming pool. This works nicely.

I would like to extend access control to our shower & toilet blocks so that only our paying visitors can use them and not casual visitors. To be more specific, the toilets would be open to anyone all day but only available by access control at night, whilst the showers would need access control all the time. But it seems like prox readers & fobs are a bit of overkill for this, I would have to set up individual user accounts for every camping customer (maybe 40 different ones each weekend), and then cancel them when they leave. An alternative is to set up one user for each pitch number and then issue say 2 fobs for each pitch but even that seems overboard for what I want to achieve and too much admin. Plus the fobs/cards are expensive and I would need to charge deposits, more admin.

What I would really like is to have a cheap card which is maybe time-restricted so that it works for say 3 or 7 days after it is first used, and then stops. This way I can have a pile of cards which work for a week and another pile which work for a short break. I would hope that the customers would drop the cards in when finished but not the end of the world if they didn't.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience to share?

Thanks!

James

Hi, I'm new to the forum so please be nice to me if I ask something which is already answered!

We have a holiday park/campsite and operate a Paxton Net2 system in some areas which we are looking to extend. Right now we use prox readers & fobs for staff and 'permanent' customers to enable access to semi-private areas like the swimming pool. This works nicely.

I would like to extend access control to our shower & toilet blocks so that only our paying visitors can use them and not casual visitors. To be more specific, the toilets would be open to anyone all day but only available by access control at night, whilst the showers would need access control all the time. But it seems like prox readers & fobs are a bit of overkill for this, I would have to set up individual user accounts for every camping customer (maybe 40 different ones each weekend), and then cancel them when they leave. An alternative is to set up one user for each pitch number and then issue say 2 fobs for each pitch but even that seems overboard for what I want to achieve and too much admin. Plus the fobs/cards are expensive and I would need to charge deposits, more admin.

What I would really like is to have a cheap card which is maybe time-restricted so that it works for say 3 or 7 days after it is first used, and then stops. This way I can have a pile of cards which work for a week and another pile which work for a short break. I would hope that the customers would drop the cards in when finished but not the end of the world if they didn't.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience to share?

Thanks!

James

I have a low security gate at home which is mag locked, mainly to stop visitors leaving it open and letting out my dogs! Anyway, I didn't want the expense of fobs and readers so I fitted flush door contacts and use a magnet to open the gate.

You could do something along the same line by buying the magnetic strip magnets and cutting them up and fitting them to a fob of some sort? Ask for them back but no real loss if they go walkies? The other technology is magnetic cards of the sort used in car parks, but readers will get expensive I would think...

Hopefully that's one idea for you to chew on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Paxton has the flexibility to do the job and the cards can be bought from Flebay at a good price I also saw a flyer from Paxton recently that the cost of the fob type tokens have been reduced Cubit should know more. The fobs could be set up into groups IE toilet only toilet and shower. The only downside is the admin side of it the best way is as suggested to make them pitch numbered. What method do the campers use to pay? If using CC have a note in the T+C that any non returned fobs will be charged at

Extend Acc Contro lto the relevant areas, modify the existing user Groups to cover these areas with the relevant times/permissions.

All Staff and permanents/regulars will be automatically included.

For others - visitors, temps etc, issue cards belonging to say 'Visitor' Group. This would be limited to only the relevant areas.

ALL people entering to have a token, These can be entered permanently on system as say Visitor 1, visitor 2 etc.

When they get issued a token, simply limit their time on site with their user rights, AND charge a sensible deposit. Those who leave without handing token back, lose deposit and permission time bombs anyway.

You'll be surprised how the scheme becomes self funding.

Regarding cost of tokens.

ISO cards have come down, Clamshell have gone up.

Thanks to everyone who posted ideas

I have decided to go with Paxton's combined keypad & proximity reader (KP50) which will allow 'permanent' customers & staff to access the doors with their fobs, but we can give a keycode to casual customers which can appear on their arrival documentation and can be changed as & when. For the volume of customers we have, it would have created too much of an administrative headache to issue individual fobs or cards.

Thanks again

James

Archived