Security Installer Community

Choosing An Alarm

D-J

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a DIY alarm system, but I've never bought one before. I think I want a wired one and I'm happy with the fitting side of things. However, I've looked a few times over the past couple of weeks and I am really struggling to choose a system to go for. I've checked the reviews section of this site and searched for similar posts on this forum, but all the reviews/posts I've found seem to be either a couple of years old, just generic guidance on what each component does or is just not relevant (e.g. about wireless kit).

Speaking to people in person about alarms, they says things like, "make sure you get a decent one", but I'm really unsure as to what features I need to be looking for and what constitutes "a decent one". Does it make a great deal of difference which kit I choose? ...and that's another thing, should I buy an all-in-one kit (and potentially save a bit of cash), or can/should I mix and match to get specific components?

With regards to the bell box, in particular, some people say to get one with a reputable logo on it, whereas others say a plain one is better. E.g. someone recommended to me that maybe I could get a professional company to install a bell box, with their logo on it, and then install the rest of the kit myself. What's people's general view about that here?

I don't think I have any special requirements over and above the ordinary (it doesn't need to be remote controlled, send SMSs, or anything like that). In essence, I think I'll need one control panel, about 4 or 5 PIRs and one bell box.

I just want something that'll do the job, is reliable, is as tamper proof as possible and not excessively complicated to setup and install. As for cost, I'm happy to spend whatever it takes as I appreciate that cheapest isn't always the best.

I guess I just looking for some recommendations as to what I should go for, in terms of brands, etc., but any help on the general topic of choosing kit to go for would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Guest RJBsec
I'm happy to spend whatever it takes as I appreciate that cheapest isn't always the best.

If that really is the case get an approved installer in - risk assessment, professional install, Certificate of Conformity, somewhere to go if you get problems, option for police calling if needed in the future.

If you don't really mean "whatever it takes" (and it may not be as expensive as you think) you are unlikely to find a reputable installer to fit his bellbox to your system, I wouldn't. If you are set on doing it yourself then I suggest Texecom kit - I don't use it but Texecom is found anywhere and their tech support will talk to anyone.

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a DIY alarm system, but I've never bought one before. I think I want a wired one and I'm happy with the fitting side of things. However, I've looked a few times over the past couple of weeks and I am really struggling to choose a system to go for. I've checked the reviews section of this site and searched for similar posts on this forum, but all the reviews/posts I've found seem to be either a couple of years old, just generic guidance on what each component does or is just not relevant (e.g. about wireless kit).

Why are you looking for a DIY alarm, specifically? Bear in mind that as with most things, you get what you pay for. Most DIY alarm equipment is junk, pure and simple. It complies with few, if any standards, and in all probability will not offer you any insurance discount, no path to upgrade to police response, trouble when things start needing attention (like batteries, wrongly placed detectors, incorretly specced or fitted door contacts, and so on), and to top it all off, when you find yourself (generally, not you specifically) out of your depth, no alarm company will touch it - you then end up paying for a professionally installed alarm system on top of your DIY one just to keep your protection (although it will undoubtedly improve it too).

Speaking to people in person about alarms, they says things like, "make sure you get a decent one", but I'm really unsure as to what features I need to be looking for and what constitutes "a decent one". Does it make a great deal of difference which kit I choose? ...and that's another thing, should I buy an all-in-one kit (and potentially save a bit of cash), or can/should I mix and match to get specific components?

It really depends on what "people" you've been speaking to about alarms - a decent system mean different things to different people - to you, it means something that will protect your home. To a burglar, it means a DIY system that is very easily defeated.

All kit can make a difference - again, you get what you pay for. Buy cheap components and expect a lot of headaches. Put quality components in the wrong place, or in the wrong way, and you will end up with headaches, and possibly limited detection. The kit is not the system. The system includes the know how to install the kit correctly, in the correct way.

With regards to the bell box, in particular, some people say to get one with a reputable logo on it, whereas others say a plain one is better. E.g. someone recommended to me that maybe I could get a professional company to install a bell box, with their logo on it, and then install the rest of the kit myself. What's people's general view about that here?

A plain bell housing is almost never better. Criminals are likely to take a punt on it being either a decoy, a DIY system, or at best a non maintained, possibly not working alarm. However, you have another problem, in that if you buy a DIY panel, it may not work with an industry bell housing, as it may not feed out at 12V, it may not be compatible with bell monitoring wiring, and it simply may not hav eenough power to supply your professional bell/siren and strobe.

If you're going to the bother of a properly installed, professional bell box, why skimp on the rest?

I don't think I have any special requirements over and above the ordinary (it doesn't need to be remote controlled, send SMSs, or anything like that). In essence, I think I'll need one control panel, about 4 or 5 PIRs and one bell box.

Sorry, I'm not sure what "ordinary" is, in terms of an alarm system - most are designed specifically for the premises they're installed in. A system of the sort you're describing there, could be istalled by an approved alarm company for as little as a couple of three hundred pounds, with a whole shed load of added value and peace of mind. Is your DIY alarm going to end up any cheaper than that, or be ore reliable?

I just want something that'll do the job, is reliable, is as tamper proof as possible and not excessively complicated to setup and install. As for cost, I'm happy to spend whatever it takes as I appreciate that cheapest isn't always the best.

Then stay right away from DIY junk. I'm not trying to be negative, or nasty in any way - only honest with you. You want reliability, get three quotes from approvaed alarm companies, in your area. Have a walk round and see who's bell boxes are already in your area in any numbers. Like I said, 2 or 3 hundred, and that may well include a first year's maintenance, almost certainly will include warranty, almost certainly will include access to someone to help day and night, 365 days a year.

I guess I just looking for some recommendations as to what I should go for, in terms of brands, etc., but any help on the general topic of choosing kit to go for would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Then you came to the right place. You may yet save a lot of money by avoiding DIY hell, in this particular case. There is no single advantage to going DIY on an intruder alarm that I can think of, unless you have full access to trade kit, which it seems you don't. Save your money, your hair, and your neighbour's temper - get it done by a professional. Get reliable, genuine kit, properly installed, and sleep safe, relaxed, and comfortable at night.

Bill.

Bill

Accord Fire & Security Services Ltd.

www.accordfire.co.uk ~ TEL: 0845 474 5839

DJ.

If you want to install yourself i would say go for the ADE Gen 4 panel with any standard door contacts and PIR's.

Remember there are many options out there so get a few companies to quote and you might be surprised and get them to install a decent system.

!

there are a few basic decent quality units from the pro manufactures.

I also agree with the bulk of the comments made.

Honeywell (ie accenta etc) is a good bit of kit, but I would recommend you have a look at texecom. MAybe an veritas or an excel. The manuals from texecom are the best there is IMO and are basically an step by step guide to everything.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived