Security Installer Community

System Specification - Help Needed !

muddymickey

1) Of the Texecom Premier control panels, which would seem the most suitable ? (Note - in the future, once I've got planning and built my garage, I might like to add this to the alarm system.)

whichever one to suit the size. Note the 24 is missing a fair few features so start with a 48 or a 96

2) Does the Texecom Premier range allow me to dial-in and talk over speakers ? If so - can you only do this when an alarm has been triggered (I acknowledge this may not be an overly useful feature, but could have good comedy value if I could do it at any time to wind up kid(s)??!)

No, only way to achive this is to use a sepeech dialler that supports it, ie pyronix vocaliser. I think the texecom speech diallers also allow remote voice, but you need a microphone. Also it will work when you select the option. ie anytime

3) I note that some of the Texecom keypads have a speaker output - I presume this is to allow connection of an external speaker, rather than actually having a speaker embedded in the keypad ? If more than one keypad has a speaker attached would they all broadcast at the same time ?

depends hoe its programmed but the speaker is for tones only

4) What are general thoughts on use of proximity tags ? I can't help but wonder that requiring a code entry is more secure (in case keys with a tag were lost or stolen etc, still wouldn't allow entry)

If you lost your keys you would chnage your locks and remove the tag from the system. I also assume you dont put your address etc on your keys. Codes can be viewed (over shoulder, over the street etc) and shared. Tags cannot. IMO as a rule tags are more secure. How do you feel about your car key? Does that opne your car, disarm the alarm, open the locks and start the car? DO you worry about loosing that and having a keypad instead?

5) I notice the Texecom Speech Dialler offers the "talkback" feature. Does this have an integral speaker, do I need to connect a dedicated speaker to this unit, or can it talk back via speakers attached to keypad(s) ?

Yes it uses the speaker only on the dialler, not the keypad speakers on the system. You will require an additional microphone to listen in

6) Anyone got any experience of using the X10-Com unit ? How configurable is it ?

No none, but its as configurable as the x10 system allows. You need x10 modules etc

re your shopping list. Personally id use a sms modem on the panel (ie com2400) as this allows zone text infomation if you want to use sms. All a voice dialer/sms unit can do is advise of the activation. Not what has activated and who turned it off ertc.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Revised shopping list:

(Won't bother with the text messaging requirements for now)

1 x Texecom Premier 48 Control Panel

1 x Texecom RadioPlus Intelligent Receiver

8 x Texecom PIR (type TBC)

4 x Texecom RadioPlus Magnetic Contact

1 x Texecom Odyssey 5 115dB bell box

4 x Texecom Premier Remote Keypad LCD Large Character (LCDL)

1 x Texecom Speech Dialler

1 x Texecom Remote Microphone Unit

1 x Texecom Premier USB-Com

Does that list make sense - IE does it sound like a configuration that all fits together ?

Also - any recommendations for suppliers ? I've seen Alert Electrical stock it all, and they're not too far from me.

cheers

Lee

• 3 weeks later...

Just to follow up on this thread....

Having got all set to use a Texecom system, a complete direction change.....!

Am now going to use a Cytech Comfort system. Not sure if anyone on here is familiar with them, as they don't seem to be mentioned.

It's more than an alarm system, it's also a highly expandable and programmable home automation system.

Just need to figure out the bets sensors to use, I've posted about that in the Detectors forum on here.

so you want something that is also an alarm?

Be careful with those things. No-one will be able to service it (ie no approved security company) so it can never be recognised by insurace etc.

Not saying dont go that way just go that way eyes open.

also non of the HA system do security WELL, yes they do security..... but id rather have a security system that did security well and also did lights and heating, rather than something that was better at turning lights on and off than it was at protecting my home

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Be careful with those things. No-one will be able to service it (ie no approved security company) so it can never be recognised by insurace etc.

also non of the HA system do security WELL, yes they do security..... but id rather have a security system that did security well and also did lights and heating, rather than something that was better at turning lights on and off than it was at protecting my home

As Redbull says. Be careful and the company that installs the system, services it for you.

!

I appreciate what you're saying about going in with my eyes open.

If like me you're slightly abnormal and undertake a selfbuild, and do most of the work yourself (everything bar the bare shell basically), you have to be prepared to shoulder the blame if something doesn't turn out right - which I'm quite comfortable with. I guess taking on such a project is the ultimate symptom of someone who thinks they can do it themselves :)

I'm aware that the pros will do a proper job, in a fraction of the time; but for me I very much enjoy the challenge of researching, learning and specifying, doing it myself and saving myself money, and accepting that I might get something wrong.

So far I've done pretty well - there's very little I'd do differently, one light switch in an annoyingly wrong place and I'd route the supply pipes to my UFH manifold differently, other than that not much (although not fully finished yet!).

Regarding the Comfort system.

When I first read about it I wasn't convinced - it wasn't immediately apparent what it offered, the manufacturers website wasn't that clear and initially it seemed like a little-used system that there wasn't much information about.

However I've been researching more about it, and am now sold on the idea (although it's not cheap).

First and foremost it is a security system, and a very capable one at that. But it also offers a whole lot more integrated features that I think I could genuinely find useful.

Quite a few people on the selfbuild and HA groups use it to good effect, which is reassuring.

I decided to try out the support forums too, with a few questions about a system spec; the responses (direct from the product developers) were immediate and very very helpful.

Had the support been poor, or I'd not known anyone else who'd used it, I'd have stuck with the original Texecom plan.

For now I'll start with a basic system (that already provides the same functionality as the Texecom setup, plus more), and then start expanding as & when funds allow.

Fully understand about the insurance & maintenance comments, am happy to go proceed on a DIY "on my head be it" basis...!

Just need to select my detectors and a bellbox now.

Archived