Security Installer Community

Intellisense/ck Securit 800 Alarm.....keypad ?

gardnt1

Hi all,

wonder if anyone could offer advice/thoughts.....

I am quite tech minded and have installed a couple of alarm systems over years for personal use....My mum has a securit alarm and her keypad has stopped working, although the lights are still on, and if '2' pressed keyboard lights up, however she cant set code to arm/disarm. It will be a while before I can travel to look at personally and I am getting the fault second hand from an elderly lady, but is there anything that springs to mind to try without calling engineer??

The guy who installed ceased to trade, but with callout etc, I wondered whether easier just to replace whole system myself with another securit or keypad? do keypads just fail? I know buttons can get worn, but ones not used usually ok? and I would think wiring ok as its all conceiled unless mouse? control box in loft (bungalow) and keypad downstairs...

any thoughts?

Thanks, TG

Hi all,

wonder if anyone could offer advice/thoughts.....

I am quite tech minded and have installed a couple of alarm systems over years for personal use....My mum has a securit alarm and her keypad has stopped working, although the lights are still on, and if '2' pressed keyboard lights up, however she cant set code to arm/disarm. It will be a while before I can travel to look at personally and I am getting the fault second hand from an elderly lady, but is there anything that springs to mind to try without calling engineer??

The guy who installed ceased to trade, but with callout etc, I wondered whether easier just to replace whole system myself with another securit or keypad? do keypads just fail? I know buttons can get worn, but ones not used usually ok? and I would think wiring ok as its all conceiled unless mouse? control box in loft (bungalow) and keypad downstairs...

any thoughts?

Thanks, TG

My first thoughts are that the panel has crashed, this can happen for a number of reasons but one common one is battery failure.

When a battery fails it can place an excessive load on the power supply causing the supply to deliver too little voltage for the main CPU to function properly.

Try powering the system down by disconnecting the mains and the battery, for safety's sake isolate mains safely either at the fused connection unit which should be adjacent to the main panel or at the fuse box.

Power the system up again and see what happens.

If the battery is more than 3 years old replace it, if in doubt get the system serviced by a recommended installer.

The C&K panel is/was popular so most experinced engineers will be familiar with them.

Many thanks......will try

one more 'off topic' question, I have veritas 8 alarm (great system in my view) and have had same back up battery for life of system (1997) and in power cut during last month, still no failure of system...is it wise that i should change anyways??

Many thanks......will try

one more 'off topic' question, I have veritas 8 alarm (great system in my view) and have had same back up battery for life of system (1997) and in power cut during last month, still no failure of system...is it wise that i should change anyways??

Most definitely yes.

Batteries do last between 3-5 years on average but there are exceptions. Your battery might sustain the system for a short time but a good battery will keep it going for at least 8 hours.

If the battery gets in to a really bad state it can (and often does) damage the panel so for what a new battery costs change it.

I agree, the Veritas 8 is a great panel for the money and for a low cost domestic they take some beating IMHO.

Thanks once again :)

Is that the same for bellbox batteries??

Most definitely yes.

Batteries do last between 3-5 years on average but there are exceptions. Your battery might sustain the system for a short time but a good battery will keep it going for at least 8 hours.

If the battery gets in to a really bad state it can (and often does) damage the panel so for what a new battery costs change it.

I agree, the Veritas 8 is a great panel for the money and for a low cost domestic they take some beating IMHO.

If I remember correctley on install they were a plug in type (like the phone batteries)??

Back to topic...............

It appears after further mum conversation, that only buttons on keypad that are used in code dont bleep etc...others do have a response .....maybe pressing to hard has knackered them?

Thanks again, all appreciated.

If I remember correctley on install they were a plug in type (like the phone batteries)??

Back to topic...............

It appears after further mum conversation, that only buttons on keypad that are used in code dont bleep etc...others do have a response .....maybe pressing to hard has knackered them?

Thanks again, all appreciated.

Quite possible, I'm not sure that keypads are still available for the 800 but members with more current experience will know.

You could always put a Texecom R8 in it's place, obviously more work and a little more expense but it ould be compatible with existing detectors and sounders.

I have 700 of them that i keep meaning to get rid of :lol: its true :yes:

want to sell 1 :) ????

Still trying to get her to identify panel properly as she said she has remote fob too. Pressed this and alarm went off but on pressing the other button on fob couldnt stop! Waited 20 mins til all quiet and got her to really press hard on pad to reset alarm. She has done this but after, keypad still not working even on pressing hard again. Was tempted to buy a new 800l system, with pad (in case of further trouble as whole kit wasnt much more than keypad alone) but remote fob has thrown me....thinking now main panel could be something else as she has fob, and its compatable with ck keypad?

awaiting her phonecall :)

Archived