Security Installer Community

Fire Alarm Interfering With Internal Phones!

sparky999

The fire alarm network is dedicated. Panel to panel in a loop, normally in shielded fire proof cable.

I think what was meant here is that when the fire alarm goes it sends a signal down the phone exchange (as well as being self networked) giving a fire call to the pager systems (maybe??).the phone network suspends unnecessary calls until a clear signal has been sent to the telexchange.

I could of course be talking out my butt.

I think what was meant here is that when the fire alarm goes it sends a signal down the phone exchange (as well as being self networked) giving a fire call to the pager systems (maybe??).the phone network suspends unnecessary calls until a clear signal has been sent to the telexchange.

I could of course be talking out my butt.

Hmmm, network to me means computer network not voice?

Yes you can have voice/data but it's not fitted in most places I work in?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Mixed terminologies -

Fire alarm goes off > activates estates engineers paging system via telephone system being signalled by same said fire alarm > phone system then on hold (so as not to block lines) until engineers have responded/accepted event > phones go back to normal.

Mixed terminologies -

Fire alarm goes off > activates estates engineers paging system via telephone system being signalled by same said fire alarm > phone system then on hold (so as not to block lines) until engineers have responded/accepted event > phones go back to normal.

I see what you are getting at, but the problem is only in one building here so it can't be that can it? :hmm:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

I see what you are getting at, but the problem is only in one building here so it can't be that can it? :hmm:

True but could it be that the new building has the facility to do all this whereas the older ones can't?

Personally,I think I've overcomplicated it myself!!

• 2 years later...

It's not a gent vigilon panel is it? I come across sites all the time where there are problems induced either in the audio or rs485 data in phone or warden call systems from the EMI radiated by the loop wiring. Usually we can liase with the fire company and they find an earth problem which reduces the EMI but sometimes if the cables are running too close I have to recable my equipment in screened cable. For some reason the gent panel generates more EMI than others.

Doh! just checked the dates. Nevermind. Might be useful info for someone else.

It's not a gent vigilon panel is it? I come across sites all the time where there are problems induced either in the audio or rs485 data in phone or warden call systems from the EMI radiated by the loop wiring. Usually we can liase with the fire company and they find an earth problem which reduces the EMI but sometimes if the cables are running too close I have to recable my equipment in screened cable. For some reason the gent panel generates more EMI than others.

Doh! just checked the dates. Nevermind. Might be useful info for someone else.

No glad for feedback it is a Morley network. The fire alarm only affects the phones in the new building (which is a pre-constructed 3 storey build) the other buildings are brick. The phones will only work if the mute button is pressed to allow dial out. Simulated the sounders next to the same phones but in the other buildings and have no effect on the workings of the phones. Will find out if the problem has been resolved or still happens. Don`t think there is an earth fault on the fire system as the panels would have reported it.

MantonTE1 There is no pager system from the fire alarm to estates. Fire and phones are 2 completely separate systems

Peter Robinson

Freelance

M:07889038650

No glad for feedback it is a Morley network. The fire alarm only affects the phones in the new building (which is a pre-constructed 3 storey build) the other buildings are brick. The phones will only work if the mute button is pressed to allow dial out. Simulated the sounders next to the same phones but in the other buildings and have no effect on the workings of the phones. Will find out if the problem has been resolved or still happens. Don`t think there is an earth fault on the fire system as the panels would have reported it.

MantonTE1 There is no pager system from the fire alarm to estates. Fire and phones are 2 completely separate systems

not teaching to suck eggs here but i assume youve set alarm off with sndrs isolated to see if its sndrs or signal problem?

not teaching to suck eggs here but i assume youve set alarm off with sndrs isolated to see if its sndrs or signal problem?

I am afraid that was the first thing we tried. Definitely picking up a tone from the sounders in the one building, other buildings ok not picking up a tone. When the mute button is pressed staff can dial out but without the mute they lose the third digit. They don`t seem to be worried about it at the moment as 2222 is the emergency number to switchboard.

Peter Robinson

Freelance

M:07889038650

Archived