Security Installer Community

Screened Cable?

lesliez

I have finished installing my alarm and am about to power it up. But I have just read that I should have used screened alarm cable between the RKP and panel. I have only used standard 6 core cable and wanted to know if it's advisable to change the cable. Also, where the cable runs from the panel to the external bell, most of this run is in the attic and the cable is quite close to various mains cables and also some central heating pipes. Is it worth replacing this with screened cable or re-routing to avoid the power cables and water pipes?

Thanks

I have finished installing my alarm and am about to power it up. But I have just read that I should have used screened alarm cable between the RKP and panel. I have only used standard 6 core cable and wanted to know if it's advisable to change the cable. Also, where the cable runs from the panel to the external bell, most of this run is in the attic and the cable is quite close to various mains cables and also some central heating pipes. Is it worth replacing this with screened cable or re-routing to avoid the power cables and water pipes?

Thanks

i use screened 2 pair beldon on galaxies between keypads and rios and main unit, but for sirens, diallers, pirs, d/c etc i just install 6/or 8 core alalrm cable, not screened stuff :)

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

what panel.

It depends on the panel some its essential, others its advisable. If its a short run and you have been careful with the placement then you may be ok, but is this info in the manual?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

It does depend on the panel and it would be advisable to change the cable if it's not too difficult to do.

9 times out of 10 in a domestic you will be ok with a short run of unscreened cable between the panel and the keypad. I have this in my house on a Galaxy 16 and it's never caused me a problem in 3+ years.

Thanks

My advice would be to suck it and see, if the instructions suggest screend cable then perhaps it would have been better but as you have already finished..........

It will probably be ok in a relatively low noise domestic environment.

what panel.

It depends on the panel some its essential, others its advisable. If its a short run and you have been careful with the placement then you may be ok, but is this info in the manual?

Galaxy Panels

texecom r8 etc are on standard alarm cable

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Thanks for the replies. It's on an Accenta G4 panel (8SP419A) and the RKP comes with the panel. The RKP is next to the entrance door in the Hall and the cable runs upwards in the cavity then between the joist to the panel which is situated in what used to be the airing cupboard, total run is only about between 6 and 7 metres.

Thanks for the replies. It's on an Accenta G4 panel (8SP419A) and the RKP comes with the panel. The RKP is next to the entrance door in the Hall and the cable runs upwards in the cavity then between the joist to the panel which is situated in what used to be the airing cupboard, total run is only about between 6 and 7 metres.

Do the instructions actually specify screened cable?

I have fitted loads of ADE/Honeywell kit in the past and it never used to be a requirement, either way for 6 or 7 metres in a domestic environment I reecon it will be fine with standard alarm cable.

Archived