Security Installer Community

System Upgrade - First Issue

ChipMonk

I'm upgrading my 20 year old, self-installed home alarm system following an electrical surge which wiped out the control panel and a spate of burglaries in the area which has focussed the mind. I'm going to replace virtually everything except the detector wiring with an altogether better system based on a Scantronic 5651 Panel 660 Communicator and Honeywell Activ8 Dual-Tech Quad PIRs. At the moment I'm simply reading and reading and re-learning - this forum is invaluable.

No doubt I shall have a number of queries in the coming weeks but my first concerns wiring the PIRs. I'm tending towards switching to FSL rather than the original separate tamper circuit, but I'm not sure how to make use best of the Honeywell PIR terminals.which are:

1. EOL

2. Tamper

3. Tamper

4. EOL

5. Relay

6. Relay

7. 12 +

8. 12 -

Without the EOL terminals I would be connecting 7&8 to the Aux power, a 4K7 resistor across 5&6, a 2K2 resistor from 5&3 and the FSL zone wiring across 2&6. But what are 1&4 about? The Honeywell leaflet says nowt.

Tips for making best use of these terminals would be much appreciated

ChipMonk

I dont fit Activ8, but i'd guess you have your wiring correct using the resistors supplied with the panel.

Some passives have built in resistors selected by links and which combination you need will depend on the panel, so i'd suggest these are the terminals 1 & 4.

Thanks for the input - so the EOL terminals aren't connected to anything in the PIR and I could simply use them as "dead ends" for tying up unused wires or, in some cases, to tidy up connections for another PIR in the circuit. Yes I know that this isn't ideal but I haven't enough zones and fault tracing with 2 PIRs is better than a single tamper circuit with everything on it.

In the case of two PIRs in one zone, I'm assuming that there will still be only ONE 2K2 resistor in each FSL zone circuit connecting the two pairs of PIR "Relay" terminals in series but that each pair of "Relay" terminals will have a 4K7 resistor in parallel across them.

I have a similar problem about what to do (if anything) with resistors in the Bell Box tamper circuit - I haven't got my head around it yet but I think the problems seems to come down to whether it's best for the Control Panel or the Sounder circuitry to monitor this. The data sheets for the panel and the sounder each look at it only from their own perspective rather than a holistic standpoint. I think it boils down to:

Sounder Options

1. I insert a 1K resistor (provided with the CQR Sounder - not the Scantronic Panel) in the control panel between Bell 0v and 12v (which seems a bit odd at first blush) for trigger monitoring (from sounder?)

2. I insert a 1K resistor (provided with the CQR Sounder - not the Scantronic Panel) between Hold off +ve and Bell in the sounder for no trigger monitoring (from sounder?) or

Control Panel Options

3. I insert a 2K2 resistor (provided with the Scantronic Panel) between Tamper Return and what (??) in sounder and set panel for EOL or

4. Scantronic panel default where tamper return uses -ve voltage. I'm not sure what tamper monitoring would apply here.

If anyone can make sense of this and guide me towards reliable Sounder Tamper Monitoring without my CQR Sounder and Scantronic Control Panel fighting each other like e-ferrets in a box it will save me the considerable time working it out from scratch and I would be MOST grateful.

Thanks for the help so far

Chip

Chipmonk i would go for a Gardtec 490x that has a built in speech dialler. The panel uses EOL. With that fit an XS3D bell.

Gardtec Eurosec Dual Tec PIRs are good and i have used the above kit on loads of houses with no problems.

Remember you can buy a wireless receiver that takes 8 wireless zones that you can add extra security to your premises.

!

I'm afraid that I already have all the hardware - it's a long story, it started as a simple panel replacement and then along came Topsy!

So Scantronic 5651 Panel, Scantronic 660 Communicator, CQR Protecta Sounders and Honeywell Activ 8 Dual-Tech Quad PIRs are the bits.

There's nothing like a challenge to keep those ageing neurons active!

Chip

Sounder Options

1. I insert a 1K resistor (provided with the CQR Sounder - not the Scantronic Panel) in the control panel between Bell 0v and 12v (which seems a bit odd at first blush) for trigger monitoring (from sounder?)

2. I insert a 1K resistor (provided with the CQR Sounder - not the Scantronic Panel) between Hold off +ve and Bell in the sounder for no trigger monitoring (from sounder?) or

Re-read the manual over again! Actually Re-read all the equipment manuals over again it will make it a bit easier to install and fault find. You don

Archived