Security Installer Community

System Upgrade - First Issue

ChipMonk

OK the control panel wins HP!

Do I detect just a hint of partisanship in this esteemed forum??

I'll know who to ask when I eventually get all this wired up and I then have to start detailed programming and fault diagnosis on the Scantronic 5651EN-43 setup

Thanks

Chip

Hello, There’s no choice you NEED to fit the two 1k resistors for the cqr bell or what will happen is it will start to ring until the set cut of time is reached in cqr bell.

Its up to you if you enable Trigger Wire Monitoring (fit the 1k resistors in the scanny) or disable it (fit the 1k resistors in the bell). The manual tells you how to wire it up.

The cqr TWM is there so the cqr bell knows the wires used to trigger the bell and strobe are still intact. The resistors are used to send a positive to the bell when everything is ok. When the bell and strobe triggers supply a negative (the alarms been set off) the resistors stop a short circuit.

You also want to wire the bell tamper in as well so the panel knows if the bell is ok!! E.g cut cable or someone tries to open it.

djrock

Hi djrock,

so you're saying that I DO actually need to fit both CQR & Scanny sets of resistors to enable sounder TWM - 1ks in the Scanny panel, across OP1 and 12v (+) and one across OP2 and 12v (+), to stop the CQR from sounding off and also 2k2 in the CQR, with the Scanny programmed for sounder tamper EOL. Is that right? (By the way the CQR's only came with one 1k resistor each and don't mention anything about TWM for strobe)

Now, just to make it more interesting, I actually want to fit two sounders in parallel from OP1 - presumably I still have only one 1k resistor fitted as above across OP1 and 12v (+) in the panel and a 2k2 in each of the sounders. But won't that throw the resistivity out?

Chip

I stand corrected (hat off to djrock) If the cqr sounder has to monitor the trigger wires then indeed you will have to utilise the 1k resistors.

The 2k2 resistor (for the tamper cct) would need to be at the last sounder if fitting 2 units (think end of line).

If you do fit two sounders you will proberbly need a seperate psu (EN panel can only deliver 750mA max - for everything except battery charging) unless the sounders can be made SCB. But as posted before I dont fit cqr so not certain of total power required in alarm, nor whether SCB is an option.

The CQR sounder siren is rated at 250mA and does offer an SCB option, which I was going to use on the secondary alarm. The single 2k2 resistor at the "end of line" makes sense to me if the second sounder is wired off the primary one. But because they're going in very different places, I was proposing wiring each of them independently all the way back to the Scanny OP1. I find that a bit more tricky to know what's appropriate in this case.

When you suggest having an additional psu, would that simply be wired parallel to the existing one on the PCB? Is the 750 mA constraint on the PSU or the PCB? What can the panel PCB take?

Actually I have two 5651 panels (I wanted two 9943 keypads and it was only a few quid extra to buy two panel/keypad packages and have a backup panel in case the electricity company send me another killer surge for Xmas) - so, if the PCB could take it, power shouldn't be a problem.

Once again all thoughts, advice and comments gratefully received. I really appreciate all the help you guys are giving me.

Chip

250mA sounds low to me, does that include the strobe?

the panel can deliver 750mA total power ie for everything, all PIRs etc, the digi, keypads and the sounders (& strobes) in alarm.

If you use a PSU then you only need to link the 0v between the two. If you calculate total power requirement with sounder (s) in SCB mode to be less than 750 you wont need the PSU. (again, not familiar with cqr but assume the strobes still powered by panel even in SCB mode).

Wiring back the sounders seperately wont be a problem, just make sure you "bridge" the tampers of the two in the panel so they are in series, with the 2k2 at the last sounder.

250mA was low - add another 100mA for the Strobe.

I'd prefer not to have the second sounder as SCB unless absolutely necessary and, given the total system requirements for two SABs that would be too close to 750mA for comfort. I must admit I thought the Scanny could handle 1A.

So the extra PSU looks sensible - just to be absolutely sure what you mean by "if you use a PSU then you only need to link the 0v between the two." Does it mean I that I make all sounder control connections in the Primary Scanny as usual but take the sounder power leads to Aux 12v and 0v in an adjacent PSU box (or my second Scanny) with just an additional wire connecting the Aux 0v terminals in the two boxes?

If I didn't want to use my second Scanny for this purpose would one of these be fit for purpose (I'd not thought about add-on PSU before now)

http://www.callandersecurity.co.uk/Product...Circuit_1201S/1

Presumably they simply have a couple of Aux 12v and 0v terminals in them

Looks like Topsy is still involved in this project!

Archived