Security Installer Community

Pyronix Belle Question

gmac11283

Hi - have been getting a tamper fault on my alarm system when it is in disarmed mode and decided to check all the PIRs and Door connections - I installed the alarm myself and so have the engineering code - I set the system in engineering mode and decided to check the external bell - but when i tried to unscrew the cover the alarm started to sound - it stopped when i retightened the screw - question is if I want to check the external bell connections how do I do it without setting off the alarm??????????

many thanks

Hi - have been getting a tamper fault on my alarm system when it is in disarmed mode and decided to check all the PIRs and Door connections - I installed the alarm myself and so have the engineering code - I set the system in engineering mode and decided to check the external bell - but when i tried to unscrew the cover the alarm started to sound - it stopped when i retightened the screw - question is if I want to check the external bell connections how do I do it without setting off the alarm??????????

many thanks

With the vast majority of panel/bell combinations there is no way.

The secret is to be quick, put the panel in engineeirng mode so the internals don't activate, whip the srew out, take the cover off then replace the screw to silence the alarm whilst you are working on it.

Some panels do have the faciltiy to send a signal to the external to silence it but this is restricted to a limted range of panels and it only works with compatilble sounders, I don't think the Belle has this facility.

cheers Lawandorder - thanks for the quick answer - so are you saying the retaining screw on the bottom of the bells is actually part of the alarm system and you can unscrew it, take the cover off (whilst being deafened- lol) and then put the screw back in and the alarm will stop - what about the tamper switch will it activate the ball since the cover is off??. Cant believe that the alarm is not deactivated in engineering mode - it doesnt make sense - scary .......

cheers Lawandorder - thanks for the quick answer - so are you saying the retaining screw on the bottom of the bells is actually part of the alarm system and you can unscrew it, take the cover off (whilst being deafened- lol) and then put the screw back in and the alarm will stop - what about the tamper switch will it activate the ball since the cover is off??. Cant believe that the alarm is not deactivated in engineering mode - it doesnt make sense - scary .......

I've never seen a Belle with a screw tamper, so if it is activating when your remove the screw it sounds like the lid tamper is only just making contact with the lid. Due to past experiences with these excuses for a bell box, I would be looking at replacing the unit for a new one as it is the most likely culprit if everything else has checked out OK.

Trade Member

Well actually it makes perfect sense, up until fairly recently the only way of disabling the sounder remotely would be to connect it's internal battery back to the panel, that way the battery could be disabled by disconnecting it at the panel.

If you were to do this then simply cutting the cable between panel and sounder would also disable it, bit pointless designing a sophisticated intruder alarm system that can be disabled by nothing more than a pair of scissors wouldn't you agree?

Now days it is possible to do it by sending a crudely encoded signal to the sounder which is much more difficult to defeat but as I said earlier this facility is only available on a limited range of equipment.

Antinode has said that the screw doesn't directly connect to the tamper switch on this particualr sounder and to be honest I have never fitted a Belle so you need to remove the cover then defeat the tamper switch to silence it but also as Antinode says if simply removing the screw is triggering the tamper (and it's not supposed to) then the arm of the switch may simply need bending to make it slightly less sensitive to movement, this may well be the cause of your problem.

Hope this helps.

pyronix belle = grade 3

the purpose of the screw is to hold the front cover in place. it is the front cover which holds the tamper circuit in...therefore it may simply be a case of loosening the screw, pushing the front cover back , hold in positon, then retighten the screw..

if you need to bend the arm of the switch a little, then it is quite likely that you will have to remove the whole belle :rolleyes:

at the end of the day you can always buy a new belle :whistle:

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

following on from an above post.

If the system was set the sounder would continue to sound once the switch had opened, even if it was closed again etc. Its only while its unset that closing the switch will silence

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived