Security Installer Community

Fire Hazard?

hpotter

I'm no electrician so bare with me, how did it get from "fibre glass" to "foam", can't see the connection?

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Ive seen polystyrene literally bonded to pvc cable as they gel together but didnt think foam was an issue. So did some research below (15mins worth tbo) and found conflicting views.

The heat generation issues (ie from lights & cable plus inability to dissipate same) are different to the chemical reaction problems that have been raised, but given the areas where most likely to happen in a residence (ie loft) I can see a need to look at both issues.

Ive been looking into trade associations for insulation industry and hey ho what they say aint what you get. I'll continue to look before posting.

http://voltimum.co.uk/news/9230/infopro.pr...nsulation-.html

10.1.1.1.pdf

I'm no electrician so bare with me, how did it get from "fibre glass" to "foam", can't see the connection?

They are both insulation used if lofts!!!

There is some confusion about weather or not polyurethane foam attacks cables but until it's written in stone I treat it the same as polystyrene.

http://www.generalcable.com.au/Technical/10.1.1.1.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Well, I say hats off to hpotter for spotting this problem.

I've sent an enquiry to the National Insulation Association, asking if they and their members are aware of the issue. I'll let you know if I get a reply

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

I got a very curt reply:

All such issues are considered and technicians trained in such areas. Thank you for registering your concern,

John C Mason

Head of Policy and Communications

National Insulation Association

01525 383313

Mob: 07917 100237

Visit our website for further information at www.nationalinsulationassociation.org.uk

I guess that means, "sod off"

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Archived