Security Installer Community

Domestic Installation Help !

I am currently installing an alarm/fire system in my home and have a few questions someone may kindly answer:

1. Does the Eurosec CPX have a built in dialer to call in the event of an alarm (so all I do is add a bt line) and if so does it tell you what the alarm is i.e zone, fire, intruder etc.

2. What type of cable should I use for the smoke heat detecors - normal alarm cable?

3. What smoke heat detecors are compatable with the Eurosec CPX?

4. The alarm unit will be mounted in a seperate room only accesable from outside (it's a outside utility room) although the utility room is secure would it be better to have the main unit within the house?

5. Finally, can you use the keyfobs with the Eurosec CPX and how do they work/what benefit are they?

If you can answer any of the q's i would be greatfull.....

Guest anguscanplay
I am currently installing an alarm/fire system in my home and have a few questions someone may kindly answer:

1. Does the Eurosec CPX have a built in dialer to call in the event of an alarm (so all I do is add a bt line) and if so does it tell you what the alarm is i.e zone, fire, intruder etc. yes / yes

2. What type of cable should I use for the smoke heat detecors - normal alarm cable? yes

3. What smoke heat detecors are compatable with the Eurosec CPX? buy from the same supplier as the panel and you`ll be fine

4. The alarm unit will be mounted in a seperate room only accesable from outside (it's a outside utility room) although the utility room is secure would it be better to have the main unit within the house? yes, and make things easier when your trying to get it all working

5. Finally, can you use the keyfobs with the Eurosec CPX and how do they work/what benefit are they? yes, but I wouldnt bother TBH

If you can answer any of the q's i would be greatfull.....

agree with gus.

Fobs are for police response or for convienience on the lower systems.

The cpx requires an additional reader for prox and just over complicates it IMO.

Other panels with built in prox dont have that issue.

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Thanks ANGUSCANPLAY.

What do you have agianst the fobs? do they set and unset the system?? Can it set/unset the system from outside the house?

we all have our opinions good or bad on fobs,

there ar 2 types of fob

1) proximity for which you need an additional read unit wired from the keypad.

2) radio which you need a receiver for, and are much more expensive each.

i instal many Gardtec fobs, and find they are reliable but are not suited to every situation or user.

if you place the reader externally you can set/unset from outside (from a preferably descrete location). being proximity you can place the reader behind a single sheet glass as in a porch (not double glazed) reducing weather ingress and lowering the risk of vandalism. obviously the radio version can be operated from up to a 100 meters away, and that can be by total accident.

advantage of fobs is mainly convenience, also some better security over codes as they prevent your alarm code being learnt by unauthorised persons, like others children, shoulder surfers and so on. if you give a code to someone they could pass it on, you get screwed check your log and see the aupair code switched it off, you accuse but she could claim someone else used had her code, far more tricky to prove with a fob.

main disadvantage to be aware of, fobs are often kept with house keys, so loose key = loose fob = possibly loose security, to counter this you can quickly delete a lost fob and you will likely know a lot sooner about it, and a set of keys have been compromised.

the VoiCom will indicate by a number i.e. 00, 01 etc which is a system ID incase you have your number restricted or 2 systems of the same line (it happens :rolleyes: ). it can tell you the zone nimber, tye of activation i.e. alar, pab etc and if set up for open/closed reporting who has unset/set the system.

tip

if you use fobs then start them at user 11 for the 1st fob, 12 for 2nd ans so on. if you are Fob11 Wife Fob 12 Oldest child 13 (i just love that conincidence :lol:) making aux users like cleaners or Mrs Mop up the road user 21 onwardsits.

makes it far easier to remmember who has what fob and where in the panel, saves entering all the names as you know who is whatuser for if you ever need to delete/add fobs or codes without over writing the valid users.

its a method i use for some time, when i phoned for advice clients marvel at my 'magical powers' of memory - :no: its just a simple routine.

i for one would strongly recommend not to connect smoke detectors to any intruder panel, but either use independant battery smoke detectors s or a dedicated system.

my view is if a smoke detector go's faulty your security system may well be comprommised - and worse thats also applies vice versa o your life saving smoke alarm. so what might seem a good idea at 1st imo is not.

please ask yourself as to what you are saving on - baterries? against which you have to run cables - so it still makes sense :no: .

if you smoke alrm cause the intrude to action, people out side your ohousehold may be confused thinking the intruder alarm has acivated - not realise its a smoke alarm.

i may be in the very small minority on this, as many companies will tell you they do mix fire detction with intruder system - not illigal, perhaps not even imorral but for the sheer life of me (and more importantly my clients lives) i just don't know why or how they justify it.

regs

alan

Do you rate the Eurosec CPX as a system or would you advise other in a similar price bracket?

imho you will find it very hard to find a better quality or value panel at the price level - or some way above it, the built in VoCom, ability to be a wired/radio hybrid by ading a reciver ensures that in my view.

adding the reader is simple, connect 4 wires to and remove a link in the panel the reader comes pre wired with clear instructions. so if you can manage a pre-wired surface door contact then "the world's your oyster 'wodny'".

programming is exactely the same as programming any other user codes, all you do is when asked for the new code you present the fob to the reader, which is then 'read' in and validated. to delete a fob is the same process as the codes, so just make sure you have a note of them in a secure location - not wrote above the keypad :whistle: .

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Alan thanks very much for your time answering my q's, it is much appreiciated.

I like the idea of fobs and will probably try them out, are the read units expensive?

With regards your comments on the fire/smoke detectors - what do you recommend then? Interlinked smoke/heat detectors seperate from intruder alarm or a dedicated system with fire panel etc.....

I like the idea of fobs and will probably try them out, are the read units expensive?

With regards your comments on the fire/smoke detectors - what do you recommend then? Interlinked smoke/heat detectors seperate from intruder alarm or a dedicated system with fire panel etc.....

a seperate fire alarm in your house :no:

connected to the intruder :yes:

i'm not a trained fire alarm engineer and do my best not to get involved, to be honest you need properly qualified advice as to any fire protection needed but relevant to your home, local Fire Brgade i think will attend and advise.

general comments - linked btery smokes are fine, some makes of battery smokes will 'bounce' off each other so no need to hard wire, 1st to activate is 'heard' by other units. obviously this has less disruption to decore.

if it were me i'd go with mains operated having a claimed 10 year (yes 10 so i'm told) battery back-up for domestic, imo possibly the best option as nobody will swipe the batteries for radios etc.

needs a qualified sparks to run the mains for common sense safety reasons - i.e. no point being electricuted before any fire gets a chance at toasting you, as that would be a total waste of money.

i'm sure others more into fire will add their (usually opposing) views to mine, but heck, what do they know :lol:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived