Security Installer Community

Dynamic Ip Connection

ispy

I've been told that its possible to use a dynamic IP with a domain name instead of a static IP when connecting to a remote site? has any one done this if so how does it work and do you have to register with anyone?

ve hav ze nolij or if not we ask!!!!

you can use a dynamic ip service such as dyndns but id advise you use the pay for service, the free one is very limiting.

If your router support Dynamic IP updates, then look at the router settings and see which services it supports, such as www.dyndns.org or www.no-ip.com.

Then, set yourself up an account with one of these providers, and place the required account details into your routers settings. Whenever your router then notices an IP change, it informs the DYNdns or NO-IP database, and your domain name record is updated. This usually happens very quickly.

I use DYNdns for a few sites, but I do still prefer to have a static IP which usually comes as standard, free, or as an option on all business grade ADSL services. It is often an optional extra on domestic packages to (not cheapo ones like talk talk etc).

I believe (though not 100% sure) that the ADSL available from the post office has a static IP as default, although I really need to confirm this.

I have attached a couple screen grabs from a Draytek Vigor router and a Netgear DG834g

post-2628-1223014418_thumb.jpg

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

Dyndns.org seems to be supported by most routers. I've set this up a couple of times with netopia and linksys routers. The netopia was a bit awkward because I had to use telnet to change the settings. Just set up your account and use the port forwarding on the router and off you go. I've used the free account and have had no problems so far

The free account does expire if you don't log in to it for a time, found that one out also you may need to set a force update period as the ip / domain link i think expires after 30 days with no -update.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

The free account does expire if you don't log in to it for a time, found that one out also you may need to set a force update period as the ip / domain link i think expires after 30 days with no -update.

qfa

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

i must admit i've only recently been getting my head around all this stuff - very slowly with help from a forum member (can we have a medal of hoonour issued to him for his patience?), but i thought the router performed that task?

my safecom cable router which was bought as it has a handy usb printer port built in, has that service in the DNS server option settings, along with very easy to use port forwarding.

i know i'm thick but to clarify so are you saying i need to log into my account at ddydns.com? monthly, as i did not spot this when i signed up :unsure:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

yeah you need to log into once a month there is an windows sync tool you can run basically set it up and it keeps the network syncronized happily - basically polls dyndns with the details and checks reported ip with the ip it's seeing as your current ip and updates if required or does the force update etc..

I know accounts go dead after a while, had to redo the one I have a while back used to get e-mail saying your domain.dyndns.org is will expire in 5 days so you could do something about it but I think they changed policy / owner or something and that stop (either that or my spam filter ate the e-mail).

* reads previous post and faints - James agreeing with me * ** thud **

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

I think as long as the router does an update every 30days, which most are pretty much guaranteed to do, then the account stays active.

I have an account with 4 ddns entries, and all 4 have remained happy for the past year or so.

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

I think as long as the router does an update every 30days, which most are pretty much guaranteed to do, then the account stays active.

I have an account with 4 ddns entries, and all 4 have remained happy for the past year or so.

in a chat with virgins sales desk about getting a fixed ip (notavailable), the guy said they inly issue one of 3 ip addresses to each subscriber, these may or may not change but it will always one of the same 3.

so although my router will auto check, if the ip don't change then i assume theres no refresh to DynDNS servers to keep the account open, so i think i'm doomed to do this manually :cold2:

seems i need the windows sync tool that will 'tickle' the server for me :unsure: , my laptop is on every day so it can do that job for me if needed.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived