Security Installer Community

Veritas R8

grumpyste

Hi,

When I moved into my house 5 years ago, I found that it already had an alarm installed (Veritas R8). The alarm setup consists of:

1 sensor in front room - downstairs

1 sensor in the rear room - downstairs

1 sensor on the front door

1 keypad - opposite front door

1 main control panel in the front bedroom - upstairs

1 external bell sounder

There was no documentation on the alarm (guides etc), neither was there any stickers or info to say who installed the alarm. However after doing some digging on the internet I managed to get a copy of both the installation & user manuals.

The alarm setup wasn't a problem until recently when my wife told me that we were going to have another child! This meant that I had to move the main control panel from the front upstairs bedroom to the hallway.

I noted down the layout of how & where the wiring was connected and successfully moved the main control panel downstairs. The alarm system works fine, however when triggering the external alarm, it only goes off for about 20 seconds.

I have reset the main control panel and restored the factory settings but the problem remained. I tried to change the 'bell cut off time' eg 30 minutes but this doesn't seem to have any affect.

During the move, the external bell wasn't touched (apart from the wire). I have double-checked the wiring layout which seems ok and am sure that I didn't knick any of the cables during the move. The fuses appear ok. When looking at the troubleshooting in the installation manual it only deals with problems regarding no external bell sound.

After doing a lot of thinking about things, to be honest I have never had to test or hear the external bell sound - therefore I am not sure whether or not the problem existed before the moving the main control panel.

Sorry if I haven't given enough information or have waffled. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

OK bear with me, I not too good at explaining thing in writing but I'll have a go.

Many external sounders have their own cut off timer built in, this is to prevent noise pollution in the event that the timer in the panel fails, or, to cut off the sounder after a pre-determined time in the event of a power failure to the sounder.

Sometimes these secondary timers are adjustable and sometimes they have a link or a switch in the sounder which changes the sounder from engineering test mode into operational mode.

In engineering test mode the timer cuts off after a short period of time (varies from maker to maker) this allows the engineer to test the operation of the timer without hanging around up a ladder for 15-20 minutes.

It's not unheard of for an engineer to forget to put the link back to operational mode.

If you can post some details of the external sounder you have we may be able to help further.

The fault could also be panel programming (though I think you have elinated that by checking cut off time) or possibly a faulty panel.

Engineer timer is my favourite though so don't worry too much just yet.

Sounds like the external sounder has been left with the built in timer set to "Test". You will need a set of ladders to get up there and have a look. Should be a somple case of moving a link over, or cutting a loop of wire depending on the model (sounds like a Ventcroft sounder, if it is 20 seconds)

Trade Member

Wow - thanks for all the quick replies!

There are no markings on the external bell that I can see (see attached photo)

I will have to borrow a set of ladders this week and take a look. If I take pictures of the internal circuit etc or manage to find a make/model I will post for advice on which changes to make.

Many thanks again for the help

Steve

post-18741-1222533999_thumb.jpg

Sounds like a faulty bell, even if it isn't that bell is ancient and could do with changing anyway.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Going by the time you've been in the house (5yrs) the look of the bellbox (& rust on the bolt) I'd say the control panel needs a new battery, the bellbox needs a new battery and a full system service would be a damn good idea too.

Do it sooner rather than later to avoid a 2am wake up call for you and your neighbours when it finally gives up the ghost.

cheers

C.

Archived