Security Installer Community

Visonic Powermax+ 869mhz

tdcooper

I have a Visonic Powermax+ system in my home, installed in June 2005. It's the Class 6, 869 mhz version, which at the time I was advised this was the only option which qualified for a police response. I fell out with the company that installed it over it's maintenance (lack of!) agreement and when I tried to get a new contract elsewhere was told that standards had changed and my system no longer was Class 6 compliant. I've never had it professionally monitored... but I wanted the Class 6 option in case I ever did decide to go that route, trying to future proof the system. I have not used the system in over a year due to a recurrent fault which I couldn't diagnose properly. I've recently had a another go and found that the issue is a faulty tamper switch on my glass break detector... So, I am now looking to replace the glass break unit and add a few other components to the system BUT I'm now having some difficulty finding a supplier of 869 mhz components for this system.

I've contacted Security Warehouse, but they can only order from Visonic in batches of 50... and since 869 is no longer the standard used, they are reluctant to order that number of units which they will not be able to sell very quickly if at all. Does anyone know of an alternate supplier that might be able to source the bits I'm after inidividually?

Parts I'm after:

1 x Glass Break Detector (869mhz)

2 x Smoke Detectors (869mhz)

1 x GSM Module (Not freq specific right?)

1 x Powerlink Starter Kit (Security Warehouse advised that this DOES use wireless for some functions, is this correct? So, assume I need an 869mhz version of this too?)

Thanks for your help and advice!

Tyson

I wouldnt use 02/Voda sim on the GSM if you manage to source one, they operate on 900mhz and might cause interference with the RF TX/RX side of things with the panel as it's very close to 869mhz and obviously you can get channel bleed over.

That's very good advice... thanks! In fact I had intended to use O2 as that's who I use for my personal mobile, and as that is my first contact number on the system I thought it would make sense to keep call costs down. Of course, thinking it through, if there are THAT many calls coming from my system then I have bigger problems than mobile call rates!

I do have an Orange PAYG SIM that I almost never use... any issues that you are aware of with them?

tyson please do not post the same topic in differebt areas of the forum.

members can view your post here and have replied.

thanks

C.

Sorry... :'(

Can I please request this topic be moved to a more appropriate area, one which is more likely to read by a wider group of professionals dealing directly with suppliers on a daily basis, rather than mainly DIYers?

Thanks.

this forum is for DIY related questions & all members can sse your post, some of which have helped in the 24hrs since your post. Maybe what you have initially been told is true?

C.

I've now spoken directly to Visonic, and they've confirmed that they don't even make most of the stuff in 869 anymore unless someone places a large enough order. So... out of luck with them.

...BUT, not all bad news, I started phoning any companies I could find online that appeared to stock Powermax+ stuff and on my third call managed to find someone who had most of what I needed in stock (Glass Break and Smoke detectors). I was so happy that I decided to buy the GSM unit from him too, even though he's about 25% more expensive than other's I've seen.

Anyway, thanks for the replies....

Archived