Security Installer Community

Telewest/virgin Users

arfur mo

hi guys, been muching around the IP companies, i'm with Virgin Media which was Telewest.

no problems but loking elsewhere Be were offering 18 meg, unlimited on a 3 month contract for

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Hello, I'm with Virgin Media (cable). I started off with 2Mb got upgraded to 4Mb for free now recently been upgraded to 10Mb for free. :D

djrock

seems djrock you came someway along the same road as me, they rolled out the 10 meg with a big fanfare but did not tell me as a long term client or anyone unles they presed for it that they needed the newer modems :ranting: .

anyway 12 months at cheaper rate and faster speed (allegedly) - cool :), going to have to renew my Xbox live account to tst it Lol:

as an aside, i found out today when asking about static ip, which virgin don't offer it, buuuuut apparently they only use a pool of 3 IP addresses per client, which changes about every 30 days or so, so once you have these you could access your DVR like as a static IP, by changing the address accordingly :whistle: . no good for clients but handy for us.

regs

alan

The cable modem I have supports 10Mb but I think it will need to be changed if I was to upgrade to 20Mb.

as an aside, i found out today when asking about static ip, which virgin don't offer it, buuuuut apparently they only use a pool of 3 IP addresses per client, which changes about every 30 days or so, so once you have these you could access your DVR like as a static IP, by changing the address accordingly :whistle: . no good for clients but handy for us.

regs

alan

If their router supports it you could use say dyndns, which you choose a domian name and the router updates the ip.

djrock

The cable modem I have supports 10Mb but I think it will need to be changed if I was to upgrade to 20Mb.

If their router supports it you could use say dyndns, which you choose a domian name and the router updates the ip.

djrock

thanks djrock,

unfortunately this is for me is one of the area's i have to admit a real problem with grasping, prior to discovering the above i did look into using one of the services who do as you say for you cost was about $20 pa so not massive, but how i would do this just from the router fox's me.

this is a previous system i'm using as example addresses, it was set to 99 (from 01) as the network was buttoned down by the IT knob

DVR365

DVR IP = 192.168.1.99

gatway = 192.168.1.1

Service port 3777

HTTP port 80

i'd really understand any router used would need to be able to do this dyndns 'trick'.

in the passed i've sussed out 'port forwarding' which for me was a battle of atrician in itself, just need some pointers how to make it a small domain, any good links or books on it you suggest would be appreciated.

regs

alan

www.speedtest.net

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived