Security Installer Community

Old Pir, Need Advice

mogden

The C and NC I mentioned I picked up from someone on another forum. The PIR terminals are just labelled 1,2,3,4 and the connection back to the control panel was as I mentioned 1:red 2:yellow 3:blue 4:black

Daylight sensor was active and did work. I haven't looked at the inside of the other two PIR's at the back of my house but you could be right, there may only be 3 wires being used.

Ahh, No Common & Normally Closed. Then I've proberbly been mis-advising you sorry. The old racalite (and a lot of GJD) did indeed use a wire to signal daylight via a sensor built within the PIR itself. However if you have a seperate daylight sensor then possibly a different kettle of fish. Even so a modern PIR might/might not work. Have a look in the other PIRs. Is the system wired into an alarm contol panel? If so is there a relay in the panel (or outside panel)switching mains?

I'm too slow posting, yep thats a racalite. no the PIR I suggested wont work without doctoring. Cant remember off the top of my head perhaps others might.

Ahh, No Common & Normally Closed. Then I've proberbly been mis-advising you sorry. The old racalite (and a lot of GJD) did indeed use a wire to signal daylight via a sensor built within the PIR itself. However if you have a seperate daylight sensor then possibly a different kettle of fish. Even so a modern PIR might/might not work. Have a look in the other PIRs. Is the system wired into an alarm contol panel? If so is there a relay in the panel (or outside panel)switching mains?

I'm too slow posting, yep thats a racalite. no the PIR I suggested wont work without doctoring. Cant remember off the top of my head perhaps others might.

Oh, hang it, here is the wiring diagram for the Racalite

Racalite_connections_.pdf

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Hi,

My house has a PIR at the front and two at the real that control my outside lights, I didn't install them and the front one is faulty. They are Racal Rascal Guardall ( now defunct I think )and are 4 wired back to a Racal Light Control Unit. The PIR's don't have mains so must get power from the control unit. The control unit can be switched to lights on/off or PIR switched. My question is does anyone know if there is a modern day PIR I could use to replace my front PIR as most I've seen are mains powered and obviously not an option here.

The PIR has 4 terminals all connected back to the control box, I assume these will be +,-,C and NC and the cable colours used are 1:red 2:yellow 3:blue 4:black

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

I think the best advice I could offer would be to get an expert in (someone with experince of secutiy lighting).

He should be able to test your working PIRs and establish what the connections actually do.

He will then be able to create an interface between the GJD sensor and your existing controller (hopefully)

The other alternative is to replace the entire system with GJD kit which in my opinion is very good stuff.

Magpye,

Just missed your pdf before attaching my photos.

Seeing this is what I have does this mean you could recommend a suitable replacement PIR?

I do computer networking so if you have any queries I could repay the compliment just let me know.

cheers.

You could be right magpye, but I thought that was on the racalite's. I was guessing (wrongly?) as the op mentioned NC & C, was a straight relay switched pair.

Wonder if there is a seperate daylight sensor?

Oh, hang it, here is the wiring diagram for the Racalite

Racalite_connections_.pdf

blimey geez, you got more old wiring stuff than me! and on pdf.

Magpye,

Just missed your pdf before attaching my photos.

Seeing this is what I have does this mean you could recommend a suitable replacement PIR?

I do computer networking so if you have any queries I could repay the compliment just let me know.

cheers.

It has been years and years since I've had anything to do with Racalite or for that matter any o/s lighting, I'm well out of date now (keep your comments to yourselves everyone).

I'll have a quick look at my old paperwork for modifications, sure I've done something that would help.

blimey geez, you got more old wiring stuff than me! and on pdf.

Na, just did a quick scan, with Acrobat for some reason!

But I do have a LOT

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Guest anguscanplay

cheers.

A GJD (with resister) - no off the shelf device will work

agreed. This racal lite was replaced by the chubb excaliber and also available as a racal product. Unless you can find one of those then you will either need to 'make' one as gus says, but a gjd controller isnt much you may as well replace em both as it looks pretty old.

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived