Security Installer Community

New Powermax+ Install

AndySP

Dear all - hope someone can help with a couple of points. I have tried searching for an answer but not found much yet. I'm just about to finish installing a Powermax+ system. Everything has gone well so far but...

1. all I have left to do for now is fit the door contact to the front door. Problem is the door is a metal door (wooden frame with painted metal (aluminium I think)). Will the fact that the door is metal affect the use of the contact? Also, I'm a bit nervous about drilling into the door but I really don't want to use tape (I've seen no nails strips suggested somewhere).

2. I was thinking of adding shock sensors to the kitchen patio door and window. The kitchen is the most vulnerable part of the house and is already protected by a PIR but I thought added protection would be useful as I would rather an alarm be going before someone gets in the house. Is this generally a good idea and, if so, I have the same problem of fitting sensors (the patio door and window are both new UPVC). I have read that you can attach the sensors with silicone but I'm wondering about this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

I've seen no nails strips suggested somewhere

id bet you didnt read that here!

No you will need to screw them on.

I have read that you can attach the sensors with silicone
Silicone is a great shock absorber, i cant beleie anyone would use this method.

Its a common issue but the only way is to sceww them to the window frame. ALso bear in mind that plastic absorbs shock much more than wood, metal etc so you may need a few sensors to cover the same area if plastic.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Thanks for the replies.

I can confirm that I definitely didn't read the No Nails "tip" on this forum!

If anyone could confirm I'll be ok putting a contact on a metal door (or not) I'd be grateful.

cheers.

If door is aluminium, should have no probs, but if ferrous, might have a problem. (use the magnet to find out, ali not magnetic).

If ferrous door, you really want to keep the distance between contact and magnet to an absolute minimum.

Also, check the locking mechanism down the front edge of the door. You dont want to foul it up by drilling and screwing the magnet in the wrong place!

If door is aluminium, should have no probs, but if ferrous, might have a problem. (use the magnet to find out, ali not magnetic).

If ferrous door, you really want to keep the distance between contact and magnet to an absolute minimum.

Also, check the locking mechanism down the front edge of the door. You dont want to foul it up by drilling and screwing the magnet in the wrong place!

That's great - thanks (and thanks for all the replies).

:signthankspin:

Archived