Security Installer Community

Installing A Second Keypad

I had planned to install a single keypad inside the front door. Normal place I think.

Some friends have suggested I should also put in a second keypad - in the main bedroom upstairs.

Is this a 'norma' / 'typical' thing to do in a domestic installation? - Four bedroom, two storey residence.

Obvious advantage is that one can 'alarm' the whole house while sleeping.

Disadvantage is stumbling out to the loo at 4am and forgetting to disarm the damn thing.

Any views appreciated please.

Ken.

id also consider what you do when the alarm activates.

if your alarm goes of at 3am, what you gonna do.... run downstairs to silence? what you running into?

id also advise a keypad upstairs but id still part set (so you can go to the loo) but you can then silence and see what your facing rather than be down there with who knows who. Also put a pa button by your keypad upstairs

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

a few more considerations,

if you have older kids or you tend to get home after the ruling 'alf has retired, the keypad in the bedroom will tend be a pest as it bleeps when you come in, then the blips when typing in your code, so your discouraged from setting it.

the keypad on many systems also serves as a panic button,

with standard panic buttons i'm not in favour of placing them by the bed, imo if you are unfortunate and an intruder is noticed in your bedroom, far better imo to play dead and let him/them have your wallet/purse jewelry, rather than make a mad rush for the button knocking over the flower vase, book, box of tissues and the phone trying to get to it, and risk provoking an attack.

any female on finding an intruder in the home is usually better off to lock themselves in a bathroom pressing the button as they pass - not run towards a bed to do so for obvious reasons

imo better usually to fit it to the landing, local to the master bedroom door or family bathroom door, this makes it more available to all the residents from all rooms, and the same go's for the keypad.

regs

alan

(now awaits to be shot down ibn flames)

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

the only thing i can say alan is under new regs you can no longer use hotkeys on the keypad ie 3 and 9 and they must be seperate dedicate buttons,like the old abacus, or seperate pa button etc. also cant use duress on anything but G4

the only thing i can say alan is under new regs you can no longer use hotkeys on the keypad ie 3 and 9 and they must be seperate dedicate buttons,like the old abacus, or seperate pa button etc. also cant use duress on anything but G4

don't know what panel is in use here but asume an optima etc.

Gardtec's contour pads have 2 buttons which look like continental policemen or traffic wardens, confuses the hell out of the keyholders :rolleyes:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

OK, interesting comments.

But what I want to know is what % of domestic alarm systems have a second keypad?

Is it like 10% or 90%?

Installers should have an overall view on this.

When proposing a domestic installation quotation, do you recommend a second keypad?

Ken

Guest anguscanplay
When proposing a domestic installation quotation, do you recommend a second keypad?

Ken

Rarely .......

Id say 10-20 % tops have more than one keypad, usually front and back doors etc. IMO the use of remote fobs is getting more popular and does away with the need for hard wired keypads in smaller houses

Archived