Security Installer Community

Mains Powered Smokes Or On Intruder Alarm?

daiashthomas

the only signaling will be to me via speech and text dialer. (and then the Mrs if i don't acknowledge the message)

and it's my own house and only require 2 smokes, plus i would probably use a sound bomb for the fire and just the speaker for the intruder, although you can have different sounds from the speakers.

and as far as batteries go I'll be fitting at least a 17ah to intruder panel.

and also as far as disturbing my neighbors goes they are 25 - 30m away on one side and over 40m on the other side of me.

did they move away after they heard you was going to fit a sound bomb - and a 17ahr batt\\/

just kidding sound a great place to live.

Gardtec sell sb's built into a strobe unit, and they come in pretty red, yelow and white colours too, so ideal for you needs, you could even slip a into well shelterd spots a couple under the eav's in case you out riding horses around your garden and it trips :) .

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

By far the best make of mains smokes are the 'AICO - Easyfit' range.

These also have an add on extra 'relay base' which can be fitted to either of thelinterlinked detectors. This can be used to signal to other kit such as a dialler or intruder alarm zone.

You wont get a 999 response anyway! Just the uneasyness of the phone call from your dialler while you wonder if it is a false alarm, or your other halfs cooking!

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

Guest Thunderfingers
By far the best make of mains smokes are the 'AICO - Easyfit' range.

These also have an add on extra 'relay base' which can be fitted to either of thelinterlinked detectors. This can be used to signal to other kit such as a dialler or intruder alarm zone.

You wont get a 999 response anyway! Just the uneasyness of the phone call from your dialler while you wonder if it is a false alarm, or your other halfs cooking!

Aye,forgot about those.

But I suppose that the easiet solution (if not the most asthetic!) is the intruder one as it isn't for ARC response.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest G.J.M
Alan.Most of the mains with battery back ups now come with a 10 year lithium (if not as standard then as an option.Personally I'd go KIDDE but there are other manufacturers out there).This covers the actually recommended life of the detector and is non-servicable so the whole thing gets replaced.

I noticed that (and I may have picked this up wrong in the post) that initially it is a house then in reference to the options it becomes would it be acceptable in my house.

I know that in commercials the brigade only turn out the once to smokes that are not part of a 5839 system.

Under part 6 you can of course use an intruder system depending on the size of the house.If it's big enough you have to have a 5839 Part 1 system (including MCP's!).

u don't have to have mcp's matey..there is a small loop hole in p6 which i will look again for.

i have just fitted an a/addressable system in my house to LD1 Grade A. The joys of having freebies. Advanced panel and Apollo detection.

and a free Galaxy too.

Guest Thunderfingers
u don't have to have mcp's matey..there is a small loop hole in p6 which i will look again for.

i have just fitted an a/addressable system in my house to LD1 Grade A. The joys of having freebies. Advanced panel and Apollo detection.

and a free Galaxy too.

Any left overs????

and I wuz referring to this bit -

a) Manual call points should be installed in very large single-family dwellings (including dwellings with long-term lodgers), and very large dwellings shared by no more than six persons, generally living in a similar manner to a single family (e.g. houses rented by a number of students), if a verbal fire warning, shouted by a person on the ground floor, is unlikely to be heard by all occupants of the dwelling.

NOTE 1 This situation is only likely to apply in the case of houses with four or more storeys above ground floor level and large,

multi-storey mansions, country houses, etc. However, it will generally be appropriate to, at least, consider the need for

incorporation of manual call points in any Grade A system that is installed.

NOTE 2 This recommendation applies to both Category LD and Category PD systems.

Bungalow, existing installation (originally T/o intruder with smokes) customer did a BIG shelly conversion. We carcussed new alarm to include 2 smokes - hall and landing.

On the 2nd fix we didn't connect smokes as sparky had fitted 2 mains interlinked (hall and landing), not through choice but building inspector wouldn't pass without them.

Guess the interpretation of the regs lies with him. When you've got to keep him happy on a (say)

• 2 months later...

Yeah, the building inspectors around here state that according to the building regs (although personally i dont know whether its accurate or not, i just do as im told :unsure: ) all smoke alarms have to be mains powered and interlinked.

We even got pulled on one job because the smoke alarms where on the same breaker as the lights. Which to me makes more sense than to have them on there own breaker.

Lights trip out, then you get a spark in to sort it asap. Whereas if the smokes trip you only realise once the damn thing starts beeping because the batteries are going low!

echosigkn8.jpg

If your smokes have battery backup, they can go on either their own circuit or a lighting circuit. Their own circuit being prefered.

If your smokes DO NOT have battery backup, they MUST be on a local well used lighting circuit. (for the reason you mention).

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

Archived