Security Installer Community

Best Options For A Multi-line Telephone System?

SystemQ

Hi All.

I am looking to upgrade our telephone system and would like some opinions on the best way forward.

Currently we use 7 internal standard copper lines (analogue) for sales incoming calls bundled to one BT number.

We use a Meridian System to handle and distribute the calls.

We would like to expand the sales line to 10.

I am interested in the following

1- Is a VOIP system going the be the way forward?

2- What equipment offer good value and performance?

3- Any particular service provider you recommend?

Paul.

System Q Ltd.

Hi All.

I am looking to upgrade our telephone system and would like some opinions on the best way forward.

Currently we use 7 internal standard copper lines (analogue) for sales incoming calls bundled to one BT number.

We use a Meridian System to handle and distribute the calls.

We would like to expand the sales line to 10.

I am interested in the following

1- Is a VOIP system going the be the way forward?

2- What equipment offer good value and performance?

3- Any particular service provider you recommend?

Paul.

hi paul,

voip has it fans and detractors tbh i'm not keen on it.

depending on the compression the line provider uses, will affect the quality of the call audio, it can get like ship to shore aka those 'help desks' abroad.

isdn is the other option, this is a single 'pipe' which carries 2 voice/data calls, need more capacity then you have more 'pipes' installed. isdn2e is for smaller installs where isdn30 would be used for larger traffic.

you can have virtually unlimited numbers most have 10 or 20, that way DDI (direct dial in) is used for sales, service, accounts etc.

to the above you an have voicemail which if not annswered will take a message and auto attendant features which is the "press 1 for sale, press 2 for accounts we are more familiar with today.

while many don't like it, it is useful for taking the weight of the switchboard and the caller not being delayed waiting for the operator.

you need to sit down and think exactely how you want your calls handled, what will happen at busy times and so on then talk to an installer/rep.

as with any kit we all have out favourites, i moved over to Siemens kit as i think it is well made, reliable very functional and excellent vfm. if you have a need for portables then these work nearly the same as a desk phone while being very small.

hope thats some pointers to get on with

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Id have a look at asterisk, or elastix/digium as a distro.

This will run as many lines as you want.

VOIP is the future, and while as arf says there may be bandwidth/codec issues over the internet there are non of those problems with a lan.

Also the whole point of 21CN is to move BT to an IP backbone for calls away from a switched one, so bt also thin kthat its the future.

We dont currently is VOIP externally but will be soon. I have testec VOIPcheap.com and it works very will but you need a low latency link.

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Id have a look at asterisk, or elastix/digium as a distro.

This will run as many lines as you want.

VOIP is the future, and while as arf says there may be bandwidth/codec issues over the internet there are non of those problems with a lan.

Also the whole point of 21CN is to move BT to an IP backbone for calls away from a switched one, so bt also thin kthat its the future.

We dont currently is VOIP externally but will be soon. I have testec VOIPcheap.com and it works very will but you need a low latency link.

James

hi james,

there a company i deal with in london who have several eateries, pubs, bars and restaurants. i did the telephones in all but the head office, as at the time that was installed i had no training on VOIP and the owner was sold on it.

all i will say is the staff hate the one at head office, much prefer the ISDN systems i fitted and this is begrudgingly admitted by the owner he shares this view in hind sight, with him its been a reliability issue the staff operational ease.

this might not be down to VOIP technology itself but the kit used, Panasonic and Siemens was used elsewhere with Siemens being the favourit by far. i think they have options for VOIP but i've not got into it due to the problems that particular client has on an ongoing basis 5 years on. it needs a weeks course to be trained up and just not had the time to see if i had the inclination.

i'd also add a good pal of mine known 30+ years has been in telecoms for 40+ years is a registered agent/installer/reseller for Telrad (major Israelis pbx switch makers), also feels the same. in his words VOIP is gimmicky and will not push its sales.

so if you are thinking of going VOIP route, i suggest go see some systems in operation perhaps at clients you know ask the staff what they think, get their opinions what it really works like. note what kit they have is the best advice to see if it will suit you before lashing out the cash.

regs

alan

(you could always call an engineer lol)

hi james,

there a company i deal with in london who have several eateries, pubs, bars and restaurants. i did the telephones in all but the head office, as at the time that was installed i had no training on VOIP and the owner was sold on it.

all i will say is the staff hate the one at head office, much prefer the ISDN systems i fitted and this is begrudgingly admitted by the owner he shares this view in hind sight, with him its been a reliability issue the staff operational ease.

this might not be down to VOIP technology itself but the kit used, Panasonic and Siemens was used elsewhere with Siemens being the favourit by far. i think they have options for VOIP but i've not got into it due to the problems that particular client has on an ongoing basis 5 years on. it needs a weeks course to be trained up and just not had the time to see if i had the inclination.

i'd also add a good pal of mine known 30+ years has been in telecoms for 40+ years is a registered agent/installer/reseller for Telrad (major Israelis pbx switch makers), also feels the same. in his words VOIP is gimmicky and will not push its sales.

so if you are thinking of going VOIP route, i suggest go see some systems in operation perhaps at clients you know ask the staff what they think, get their opinions what it really works like. note what kit they have is the best advice to see if it will suit you before lashing out the cash.

regs

alan

(you could always call an engineer lol)

Thanks James & Arthur.

I am quite favouring VOIP as I already use skype to chat to supplies overseas (voice Skype not messaging). I even have skype on my mobile phone.

For the office I

System Q Ltd.

Arf

we have used a Voip phone system internally for about 6 years now, and would never go back to our old norstar.

Granted we are on isdn externally but the sip trials i have done have been great and our costs will be dramitically lower. It also allows me connect one of our contract mobiles to allow the engineers access to our arc and tech lines, via a free inter group mobile call to the office, then out on out fixed monthly cost sip lines.... ie free. It will reduce our comms costs massivly

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Hi Paul,

I am a Meridian engineer and run my own company. You have a couple of options to upgrade your system.

As others have mentioned, ISDN30 is a good way forward and becomes cheaper than copper (analogue) lines as you add more lines (channels) to it. Alternatively, you can expand the system using an add-on module to increase the capacity to 20 analogue lines.

VoIP is not an option with the system you have (assuming it is a Meridian Norstar). Personally, i don't think VoIP is good enogh yet to make business calls. It is OK for Skype when you are making personal calls and can be fine for business calls too, but the call quality cannot be guaranteed. The last thing you want is a customer struggling to understand what you are saying.

However, if you really want to try VoIP, the cheapest way forward to to change your phone system for a BCM (Business Communications Manager for Nortel). This is a direct replacment for the Norstar. It is functionally the same so you don't have to learn how to use it and better still, you can use the phones you have already on the Norstar. This would make a good saving over replacing with another type of phone system. The BCM does everything that the Norstar does, but also has all the latest enhancements, including VoIP capability, CTI (screen popping), voicemail which your Norstar my not have, IP phones and the list goes on. The BCM is very well priced and all the extra features is is capable of come pre-loaded and only need to be activated with a key code (which you unfortunately need to buy :( )

Although the Norstar has been around for some time it is still a good system and we hold plenty of stock of bits and pieces for it should you decide to go down that route.

I hope this helps.

Paul

Thanks James & Arthur.

I am quite favouring VOIP as I already use skype to chat to supplies overseas (voice Skype not messaging). I even have skype on my mobile phone.

For the office I

VoiP as your main lines is far too risky, especially for a sales dept.

I would go for ISDN. For 10 lines you would require 5 ISDN lines. This will most usually be provided via ISDN30 rather than ISDN2e, but is basically the same, with the exception that you need a different line card in the PBX.

ISDN conversions can be expensive, especially if it is going to be ISDN30. (BT will not usually install anymore that 4 grouped ISDN lines on the same number before jumping to ISDN30).

ISDN gives a much clearer call, quicker call setup times(as if you would notice TBH!), better caller features, the ability to assign new DDI numbers to call groups or single extensions on your PBX. (A secret 'night number' for the sales dept is always good for staff).

As for kit, the NEC XN120 or NEC Aspire if you want the next step up is extremely good and versatile kit. The Aspire has an HTML interface allowing you to configure it from a web browser both locally and remotely if required.

The BT Versatility is also supprisingly versatile and easy to use, and available competitively as a second user system (BT only supplied as new). The voicemail on the versatility is not the most user friendly TBH though.

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

Archived