Security Installer Community

4 Weeks

Guest anguscanplay
You'll be rewarded in the next life Angus for all your charitable works in this one!! :P

i was more thinking about the poor customer - non intended O/P but your boss is taking liberties (as an aside could you PM me - cheers)

Lots of 'Sour grapes' around for this time of year !!!-full trade member after 4 weeks doin the job!-Seems to me people need to think about what they write, and not let 'personal' things interfere. ;)

Sorry is that a question, POV, moan or something you wish to discuss with me by PM?

Anyone can apply for trade membership on Tsi then they are vetted before being given access.

4 days, week, years, whatever!

Chris.

I have been working for a security company for the last 4 weeks and have spent them on installs running cables and fitting door contacts and pir's. Whilst I'm doing this my mate wires the bell and panel. I am off work now until next Monday but have been told that I will be going out on my own next week to carry out a full install. The trouble is, is that I don't fully undertand how an SAB works (I've heard tamper return, switched negative, hold off etc) and how to wire one in the bell and the panel.

I would ask my mate but he's gone away for two weeks and as far as the boss is concerned, I should be fully up on everything after 4 weeks. I'm still on trial for another 8 weeks so want to impress him as I can't afford to lose this job.

We usually use Gardtec panels and my boss offers different bell boxes, depending on what the customer wants.

Is there anyone out there who can help me?

The way your co' is sending you out to do a job without even checking what you are capable of is exactly what this industry needs to try and stop,it is I hope not NSI or any other inspectorate approved? if it is it just goes to prove arthur mo's opinion about "approved" installers.

Everyone learns at different rates and if you have not come from an associated trade back ground such as electrical it is more difficult,there is nothing wrong with coming from a different trade into this industry in fact several years ago when I worked out of modern alarms Ipswich branch there was a guy who installed industrial ducting who after 6months was running the install at the new Ipswich tesco store and a damn good job he did.

2 x points

1.How will you be putting mains onto the panel,if some one competant is not doing it for you then you can only plug a plug top into an existing socket ? complys with what?

paul..

2. After 4 weeks you should not be sent to carry out your 1st install without support,the second man at the very least should have spent some time roll swapping so that he/she did the PIRs while you did the panel and bell.

You should and could have been called into the office where you could wire up a full system onto a training board and any weaknesses discovered and corrected.

You will probably have trouble with the panel programming even if a simple domestic ,the best advice i can give is to check what the default programming is and wire your system to that so that the minimum changes have to be done from the default.

Last thing-try to prepare if you can get the kit in advance of the job wire it up at home and get it working strip it down and install on day of job at least with confidence that you have done it once already and it worked--get the no' of the panel makers tech support line!!!!.

Hope these ideas help! good luck mate.

to my peers,

anyone in North Wales area need a good new trainee prospect - what are you waiting for?

this guy shows he really cares - so most of the 'battle' is won

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Hi Mate , This is the answer to your problem .

Go to your boss and tell him you are unsure of what you are being asked to do .

Better to OPEN your mouth and let people THINK you are a fool rather than keep it closed and PROVE it !!

He wont think any less of you , infact will probrably be glad you voiced your concerns.

Good Luck .

Thank you for all your replys. I read them all with interest. Unfortunately my boss treats the security installation side with little respect. He is an ex Norweb spark and has been in the game 40yrs. He's not NSI or SSAIB but he is an NICEIC contractor (one of the sparks will sort out the mains for the panel). His take on a security engineer is 'Bloody 12v bell wire mechanics' Followed by 'Listen lad. If you can't get your head round a poxy alarm system, you're never going to be wiring a bloody big 3 phase mains board'.

So you can all see what i'm up against. Sorry if i've posted this in the wrong area (form one of the previous posts)

Thank you for all your replys. I read them all with interest. Unfortunately my boss treats the security installation side with little respect. He is an ex Norweb spark and has been in the game 40yrs. He's not NSI or SSAIB but he is an NICEIC contractor (one of the sparks will sort out the mains for the panel). His take on a security engineer is 'Bloody 12v bell wire mechanics' Followed by 'Listen lad. If you can't get your head round a poxy alarm system, you're never going to be wiring a bloody big 3 phase mains board'.

So you can all see what i'm up against. Sorry if i've posted this in the wrong area (form one of the previous posts)

edz you have not posted in the wrong forum don't worry.

Some of the things you mention are not best discussed in a forum open to the public for alarm integrity reasons thats all.

I suggested you apply for trade access but that would mean you are vetted to confirm you are a suitably qualified/experienced member which may fail as you are only 4 weeks into the job.

On a personal note - you seem to have a keen intrerset in your job/work which is a missing trait nowadays in my opinion so your effort may be wasted on your current employer. Try a few phone calls or posting CV's to other alarm companies in your area as if you lived near me I'd give you an interview asap.

Good luck whatever happens !

Chris.

edz you have not posted in the wrong forum don't worry.

Some of the things you mention are not best discussed in a forum open to the public for alarm integrity reasons thats all.

I suggested you apply for trade access but that would mean you are vetted to confirm you are a suitably qualified/experienced member which may fail as you are only 4 weeks into the job.

On a personal note - you seem to have a keen intrerset in your job/work which is a missing trait nowadays in my opinion so your effort may be wasted on your current employer. Try a few phone calls or posting CV's to other alarm companies in your area as if you lived near me I'd give you an interview asap.

Good luck whatever happens !

Chris.

Can i have an interview?

Eucam Security Systems

0845 4630 746

www.eucam.co.uk

Archived