Security Installer Community

Ade Optima 2 Plus

Hello,

I moved into a house in London some 6 years ago. There was an Optima 2 Plus fitted by the previous owner and we inherited all the documentation along with it. I got the user guides, the quick sheet guides even the installation guides and engineering programming information, all in print.

Some 40-50 days ago the alarm started acting up. It never had an issue up to that time for almost 6 years. (hasn't being serviced either)

The outside siren would just go in random times and random duration. Would start/stop. Make high pitching sounds that alternate in pitch, burst for some

3-4 minutes, then forget it for some 20, start again for some 15 , then go to sleep. The codes on the panel work as they should but they dont seem to affect what's happening outside to the bell. It seems it starts and stops as it feels.

I'm pretty technical (although not an alarm engineer), and the impression i get is that a component is slowly failing and/or something is shorted.

It can go for minutes, or may not make a single sound for weeks, then make short 1-3 sec clipping sounds, or sound like a bird (alternating in pitch).

The whole system feels dated to me, the panel looks dated, the muffled sounds coming out of the siren, so i guess i'll have some engineer fitting something a bit more current.

Until we decide on a new system though, (and i would love some recommendations on new systems from you), we need to make the Optima 2 Plus to shut the f*ck up before the neighbors start keying our cars for waking them up 20 times a night.

So my question is: Is it possible for me to disable the system completely? And i dont mean disarm, i mean DISABLE, lights off and all. I had enough with it and i'm gonna hear about alarms again when i decide on a new system and get an engineer in to fit it.

I went through the manuals and the engineering documentation and couldn't find anything.

Thanks for reading this and hope you can give us a hand

Jon

While i sympathise we cannot give infomation out on a public forum that may be used to disable a system like yours. Im sure you understand. It will definetly need a service after that time. Obviously people will answer questions for you but not on how to disable anything

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Hi redbull,

Thanks for the reply. Well, im pretty sure it does need a service. Point is im not interested in servicing it. The whole system is dated (must be some 15 years old) and i will have it replaced. Until i do that i need it to be QUIET though :(

I do understand that giving out information on disabling security systems on a public forum may not be the wisest of choices so let's work a plan B.

How much would a fully qualified fully certified fully police vetted fully equipped security professional would charge me to come over and make it STFU?

By the way im that > < close to getting up a ladder and destroying the whole outside bell box with a crowbar. No bell == no sound. I just noticed i joined the forum at 06:14 today. Could you think WHY i was up posting to an alarm systems forum 6 in the morning? :(

Hello,

I moved into a house in London some 6 years ago. There was an Optima 2 Plus fitted by the previous owner and we inherited all the documentation along with it. I got the user guides, the quick sheet guides even the installation guides and engineering programming information, all in print.

Some 40-50 days ago the alarm started acting up. It never had an issue up to that time for almost 6 years. (hasn't being serviced either)

The outside siren would just go in random times and random duration. Would start/stop. Make high pitching sounds that alternate in pitch, burst for some

3-4 minutes, then forget it for some 20, start again for some 15 , then go to sleep. The codes on the panel work as they should but they dont seem to affect what's happening outside to the bell. It seems it starts and stops as it feels.

I'm pretty technical (although not an alarm engineer), and the impression i get is that a component is slowly failing and/or something is shorted.

It can go for minutes, or may not make a single sound for weeks, then make short 1-3 sec clipping sounds, or sound like a bird (alternating in pitch).

The whole system feels dated to me, the panel looks dated, the muffled sounds coming out of the siren, so i guess i'll have some engineer fitting something a bit more current.

Until we decide on a new system though, (and i would love some recommendations on new systems from you), we need to make the Optima 2 Plus to shut the f*ck up before the neighbors start keying our cars for waking them up 20 times a night.

So my question is: Is it possible for me to disable the system completely? And i dont mean disarm, i mean DISABLE, lights off and all. I had enough with it and i'm gonna hear about alarms again when i decide on a new system and get an engineer in to fit it.

I went through the manuals and the engineering documentation and couldn't find anything.

Thanks for reading this and hope you can give us a hand

classic signs of a dead standby battery especially if its not been maintained for 6 years.

on average they last 3 - 5 years and best replaced at 2. other than that might be a tamper fault to the siren loose lid/fixing or cable damage.

given the system was designed for the previous owner and things have moved on dramatically in the time you have owned it you would be advised to get a pro in to give you an opinion on or service it, might be a simple repair is all thats needed, if not you will know the worst.

you say you are technical, so if your really competent (not just confident) about electrics and can do so safely then replace the battery (available from maplins), just be careful of the lethal mains voltage available, and we don't know how well your system and its mains supply to it was installed, so take and exercise great caution.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
By the way im that > < close to getting up a ladder and destroying the whole outside bell box with a crowbar. No bell == no sound. I just noticed i joined the forum at 06:14 today. Could you think WHY i was up posting to an alarm systems forum 6 in the morning? :(

if your the same age and drink as much liquid as me then Its a safe bet LOL, you sort of answer your own question so the next one should be - how much to hire a crowbar?

(thats the way foward)

anguscanplay : I'm so glad someone is in a jolly good mood cause i know i'm not.

alan: Thanks so much for the information. I can replace a batt no problem. Back in the day i've pulled wiring for military installations. I wont get fried, promise. Where is the battery located? In that small control panel? How do i open that?

And coming back to my original question. I would suspect most of you in here are in the industry. How much would you charge to come in and disable it permanently so we can get a couple o' nights sleep until we decide to have a new one fitted?

anguscanplay : I'm so glad someone is in a jolly good mood cause i know i'm not.

alan: Thanks so much for the information. I can replace a batt no problem. Back in the day i've pulled wiring for military installations. I wont get fried, promise. Where is the battery located? In that small control panel? How do i open that?

And coming back to my original question. I would suspect most of you in here are in the industry. How much would you charge to come in and disable it permanently so we can get a couple o' nights sleep until we decide to have a new one fitted?

sorry for my humour attack, but putting together "i run wiring for the military" followed by "wheres the battery located " just made me fall about (air battery- get it? oh! please yourselves).

the battery is in the main panel, usually secreted away somewhere, and can often be given away by a fused spur (if fitted correctly), about the size of a yellow pages but white in colour.

and lighten up, were engineers i.e. people with warped minds so don't you worry about Angus and me - when another village notifies the forum of a vacancy - were next :lol:

i would add, if north/east London by convenient mutual arrangement to disarm your system appx

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived