Security Installer Community

New Consumer Protection Laws

Guest RJBsec

Guest RJBsec
For the first time in UK law there will be a duty on all businesses not to trade unfairly. The law aims to tackle everything from aggressive sales tactics by rogue builders to bogus closing-down sales.
The new legislation outlaws information which, even if it is factually correct, deceives the average consumer into making a transaction he or she would not have taken otherwise.
The Consumer Protection Regulations, which implement the EU directive on unfair commercial practices, mark the biggest shake-up in consumer law for 40 years. This brings in a new concept of fairness, a brave new world for businesses dealing with consumers and advertising. As well as a duty for companies not to trade unfairly and to avoid misleading statements or omissions, there is also a duty on businesses not to conduct aggressive sales practices, such as harassment, coercion and undue influence. This would tackle cases such as ... pushy sales tactics.

BBC News

There was an item on this on the TV the other day. Can't say that it was useful in giving clear guidelines. - The participants were something to do with Spiritualists/mediums/witchdoctors or something.

The gist of what i got from it was; It all depends on the local trading standards dept. The guy from there repeated several times. "check with your local trading standards office, each of them will have a different interpretation."

So that makes things clear then - not!

Whilst the purpose of the new laws may honourable, based on the news item, i just can't see how they make things any clearer.

There was an item on this on the TV the other day. Can't say that it was useful in giving clear guidelines. - The participants were something to do with Spiritualists/mediums/witchdoctors or something.

The gist of what i got from it was; It all depends on the local trading standards dept. The guy from there repeated several times. "check with your local trading standards office, each of them will have a different interpretation."

So that makes things clear then - not!

Whilst the purpose of the new laws may honourable, based on the news item, i just can't see how they make things any clearer.

They have to state their "services" are for entertainment purposes only from now on IIRC.

Guest RJBsec
GREAT

we can kiss goodbye to NSI, SSAIB then!!

well under this new law who needs them anymore?

regs

alan

Quite the opposite I would have thought!

Wonder how many non nsi etc companies will be reported for not explaining approval, part p etc, ie the client will claim they would not have purchased it if thy had known etc etc.

Also i fear for the companines that claim 'emergency response' without a urn

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived