Security Installer Community

External Housing Condensation

nintenbo

hi all

Im looking to use a PTZ camera, just the camera not the whole case and put it into a much smaller waterproof box and construct a window for the lens to see out of. but im worryed that being out side i will get all kind of condensating problems so im thinking to put a heater inside, a little like the regular external housings which have a box camera in them. so the heater will only come on when it cold enough.

I rather not use a heater if i can get away with it, im thinking if the unit is properly sealed then the heat generated from the camera through normal useage should be enough to ward off any condensation.

as the little domes you can get has no heater and there for external use

while writing this im now realising that the heater regulates the temprature just right depending on out side temps.

So since i seen to of answered my own question, Any one out there ever made there own external housings??

any comments welcome

cheers

before small external cameras were so abundant - and cheap, i used a pcb camera and mounted it inside a clear perspex serial bowl from Tesco's, screwed the lid to under the porch and pushed the container onto the lid. finished with 2 small screws to keep it there.

client was as pleased as punch and by request installed about a dozem more. the original has worked for over 20 years, just replaced it with a 'proper' modern dome camera as the house changed hands recently, but was till as good as new,n ot even the bowl went yellow (ruddy good milk:lol:).

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

hi all

Im looking to use a PTZ camera, just the camera not the whole case and put it into a much smaller waterproof box and construct a window for the lens to see out of. but im worryed that being out side i will get all kind of condensating problems so im thinking to put a heater inside, a little like the regular external housings which have a box camera in them. so the heater will only come on when it cold enough.

I rather not use a heater if i can get away with it, im thinking if the unit is properly sealed then the heat generated from the camera through normal useage should be enough to ward off any condensation.

while writing this im now realising that the heater regulates the temprature just right depending on out side temps.

So since i seen to of answered my own question, Any one out there ever made there own external housings??

any comments welcome

cheers

A firm I used to sub contract for used to fit 12V DC cameras into 240V houdings and just ignore the heater, unlike the 'proper jobs ' with the heaters connected, I NEVER had a problem with condensation, I still service a few of their sites, and surprisingly, the housings arent rusted or anything. I have even disconnected the heaters once or twice on other jobs to cure condensation problems.

Odds on, you'll have no problems at all.

hi all

any comments welcome

cheers

Just second guessing here but if the reason you're making your own housing is so you don't have on obvious dome and wall mount on your house what about (if you've got space) putting a recessed one in the eves

post-13844-1211570888_thumb.jpg

Never Teach Your Apprentice Everything You Know

hi all

any comments welcome

cheers

Just second guessing here but if the reason you're making your own housing is so you don't have on obvious dome and wall mount on your house what about (if you've got space) putting a recessed one in the eves

post-13844-1211570888_thumb.jpg

Never Teach Your Apprentice Everything You Know

Why bother at all. just buy a small external ptz dome that can be controlled on rs485, preferably simplex protocol such as pelco. Why re-invent the wheel!

Kind regards

Stuart Onley

SAMS Consultancy

Independent Security Consultants

email:enquiries@samsconsultancy.co.uk

Archived