Security Installer Community

Baluns And Power (max Current Draw)

Hooner

I recently installed three Videcon IR cameras in an isntallation using Passive Baluns (from COP)

The system is encountering some problems when the IR kicks in at night, knocks all camera signals off.

I'm pretty sure the PSU is rated higher than the total max. current draw of the cameras.

Is there a limit to the ampage that can be drawn across twisted pair?

cheers

Hooner

I recently installed three Videcon IR cameras in an isntallation using Passive Baluns (from COP)

The system is encountering some problems when the IR kicks in at night, knocks all camera signals off.

I'm pretty sure the PSU is rated higher than the total max. current draw of the cameras.

Is there a limit to the ampage that can be drawn across twisted pair?

cheers

Hooner

Yes!

There is a limit to the ammount of current any cable can carry.

Measure the voltage at the camera both with IR on and IR off.

You may find that putting the PSU local to the camera will resolve the issue.

Yes!

There is a limit to the ammount of current any cable can carry.

Measure the voltage at the camera both with IR on and IR off.

You may find that putting the PSU local to the camera will resolve the issue.

Sorry yes of course there is.

I should have worded that better.

""What" is the limit to the current twisted pair can carry? ;)

I'm back there tomorrow to do some tests. Unfortunately we cant site PSU's anywhere near the cameras, we used twisted pair in this project as the client wanted minimum cable used (RG59twin was too thick apparently :angry: ..anyways will know more tomorrow.

I'm back there tomorrow to do some tests. Unfortunately we cant site PSU's anywhere near the cameras, we used twisted pair in this project as the client wanted minimum cable used (RG59twin was too thick apparently :angry: ..anyways will know more tomorrow.

Ive come accross this before strangely enough with videcon IR cams. Id recommend fiting a pcam 2 psu for each cam that should sort the problem

To be honest it's probably not the current carrying capacity that is the issue here, it is the voltage drop which is a product of the cable resistance and the load of the cameras/IR illumination.

I suspect that the cables are fairly long?

Get back to me with the specific type of cable you are using and the approx length of the runs and I'll post some calcs for you.

You really need to do some tests at the camera end rather than at the supply end but if you have any spare conductors double up on the supply pairs, this will halve the resisatnce and therefore reduce the voltage drop.

not opening the pdf i assume you have run the power over the same pair as the video? While this is fine for low current cams i wouldnt do ir for ir cams.

do you have 3 spare pairs... if so just use them for the power. And it will be fine

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived