Security Installer Community

Question For The Av Installers Amongst Us

arfur mo

hi guys,

good friend of mine is setting up home cinema, he wants to use the same set of speakers for his Tv and is Surround amp.

he wants to avoid having to switch on the surround amp when just watching the normal mundane tv using, just using it for Film DV's ect

long and short of it is to operate the same speakers from two diferent amps i.e. Tv which will have the centre and normal sterio speakers connected in one direction the the surround speakers connected to the HiFi amp.

the wife simply won't have extra any speakers meaning the simplest solution is not available, i did suggest a divorce - but then he would have to flog all the kit to pay the maintenance :P .

he has been after a QED MA19 unit which he says will do the job (but i've not a clue :wacko: ), but it's out of production and Ebay has had any results (so if you have one or similar for sale please contact me).

thanks in advance guys for any suggestions

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

modify a scart switcher ?

hi Angus,

thanks for the idea, i'm really looking for a ready made solution he buys and installs himself, if i pop's his amp outputs then i won't be his bestist mate anymore :unsure:

:P

i spotted one on ebay tonight so i've emailed him the link.

in a fomer (much younger) life, i built my own disco outfit. from making the leads through to building the amps and mixer, even the sound to light unit (what would part p make of that today :cold2:).

i even researched, designed and made the speaker cabs to exacting tolerances and finished with a collapsible table it sat on.

but when it's for someone else's pride and joy it's a no win situation, experience has decreed way best to steer well clear with this stuff.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

hi Angus,

thanks for the idea, i'm really looking for a ready made solution he buys and installs himself, if i pop's his amp outputs then i won't be his bestist mate anymore :unsure:

in a fomer (much younger) life, i built my own disco outfit. from making the leads through to building the amps and mixer, even the sound to light unit (what would part p make of that today :cold2:).

i even researched, designed and made the speaker cabs to exacting tolerances and finished with a collapsible table it sat on.

but when it's for someone else's pride and joy it's a no win situation, experience has decreed way best to steer well clear with this stuff.

regs

alan

CPC sells this sort of stuff, all sorts of audio switchers etc etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

• 4 months later...

IMHO the best way to do it, but certainly not the most elegant way is to not connect any front speakers to the cinema amp but feed a low level pre amplified audio feed into the main amp from the cinema amp for the 2 channels, then set the volume on the main amp up at the maximum gain you need/as the same as the surrounds. then use the cinema amp as the main volume control, this is taking into consideration that the cinema amp low level output isn't a fixed level, and goes up and down in sync with the speaker outputs of the cinema amp, if it is fixed just compensate by using the amplifier remote as well to adjust the level.

None of the speaker switches are very good imho, especially if you are into your hifi.

This is the dillema I had as i refused to use a cinema amp to listen to music with, thats how i've set it up above and it works flawlessly.

HTH

Dale

Guest Thunderfingers

Is there not an AV RCA output on the telly??You could then put this into your surround input and switch from standard stereo to surround depending on what you are watching (TV or enhanced DVD).

i hope you didnt use a neon screwdriver to test the voltage to it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

hi Angus,

Absolutely right mate, run a mile, dont get involved with switching speakers about for a mate, so easy to blow the amps up, especially as theyre probably bridged.

Even if you dont - he's a mate, if you touch it, you'll most likely 'own' it for the rest of your days.

if there was a smiley face emocion, with a lit fuse sticking out the top, I'd insert it here !

regs

alan

• 2 weeks later...

... old post ...

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Archived