Security Installer Community

Help With Networking Problem

AidenC

Hi, a friend of mine has asked me to look into something for him, he currently runs a plumbing/heating service company and is looking into getting remote control of central heating in holiday homes, basically he has all the equipment ready to plug and play into a bt line, the only problem is these homes are in the middle of nowhere with no bt lines, so i was wondering if anyone knows of any solutions that have been tried and tested before ....ie GPRS routers etc, i did think about web and walk etc but it would need to be a stand alone router that wouldnt need a pc/laptop present.... (because hopefully if he gets the heating up and working he wants me to do the CCTV the same way ;) ) Hope ive explained it well enough :)

GPRS Routers = yes if the heating product is networkable (not seen one at a sensible price yet) - let me know if you find one

GPRS router to BT / telco interface - sorry never seen one

It might be possible to use someting like an Emizon 21 TCD but I don't know if the POTS interface is two way or not?

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

• 3 weeks later...
GPRS Routers = yes if the heating product is networkable (not seen one at a sensible price yet) - let me know if you find one

GPRS router to BT / telco interface - sorry never seen one

It might be possible to use someting like an Emizon 21 TCD but I don't know if the POTS interface is two way or not?

The POTS port on the Emizon 21 TCD is two way, and is normally used outbound (from the TCD) using dial capture (ContactID/BSIA Fast Format/SIA) for alarm transmission, with inbound modem communications typically used for alarm panel remote maintenance etc. by ringing the panel and setting up a modem call. So there may be some way forward there. But the modem chip used is aimed at the security industry, so generally won't support a baudrate over 2400, which is gonna be painful for CCTV.

More problems, Emizon 21 do not offer a GPRS only service as standard (at present) mainly due to the variable costs of airtime. Emizon includes the airtime in with the basic cost of the Emizon 21 service, based on normal usage where a fixed line is also present, presenting a fixed cost to the installer and taking the SIM management issues away. A custom product from Emizon might be possible where there is enough demand, so might be worth asking!

I'd guess the mechanism used by the remote central heating system is basically a modem connection, so it would not look a lot different to the Galaxy Gold RMS or similar remote management systems using a POTS modem to operate. Emizon supply a tiny client PC program which provides a virtual serial port on the PC and then connects through the Emizon 21 network to the TCD Pots port as a transparent three wire serial port. It can also connect remotely to a RS232 3 wire interface (as used for the Texecom and Honeywell panels) which might be even simpler to use than the PSTN option.

To get to using CCTV that way, using a PSTN port over GPRS is probably not a viable option, and you'll probably need to go to a fairly serious router setup. There are quite a few out there, google "GPRS Routers" brings up a load of them (though you'll probably need to dig deep!). Then you'll need to work out what to do at the other end to support the CCTV and the remote central heating system at the same time, manage your airtime and SIMS etc.

Hi, a friend of mine has asked me to look into something for him, he currently runs a plumbing/heating service company and is looking into getting remote control of central heating in holiday homes, basically he has all the equipment ready to plug and play into a bt line, the only problem is these homes are in the middle of nowhere with no bt lines, so i was wondering if anyone knows of any solutions that have been tried and tested before ....ie GPRS routers etc, i did think about web and walk etc but it would need to be a stand alone router that wouldnt need a pc/laptop present.... (because hopefully if he gets the heating up and working he wants me to do the CCTV the same way ;) ) Hope ive explained it well enough :)

If all he needs is a line then simply use a Nokia Premicell and you can possibly plug it in to a small exchange with a line for each system. Really easy!

Premicell

I used to fit these exchanges years ago, something like it must still be made?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

If all he needs is a line then simply use a Nokia Premicell and you can possibly plug it in to a small exchange with a line for each system. Really easy!

Premicell

I used to fit these exchanges years ago, something like it must still be made?

hi luggsey

thats good idea matey,

premicell is still available, not sure if the bandwidth of the exchange will be high enough for the other kit, as it often used to upset dial up internet for instance, but if it's simple control then it could be ok.

so set up for DISA job's a good 'en imo :)

if separate exchange needed the omnicom is no more (cut my telecom teeth on that one) so for each job Panasonic do a cheapish KXTA analogue only unit - you just need a week or two to learn how to program it :rolleyes:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Just a wee not about Permicell

These units are now illegal to connect to GSM networks and have been for a while now

We used to install lots but were warned last year by o2 and vodafone not to use them again

Just a wee not about Permicell

These units are now illegal to connect to GSM networks and have been for a while now

We used to install lots but were warned last year by o2 and vodafone not to use them again

Are we talking "law" or network providers "rules" here?

There are thousands in use......

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Archived