Security Installer Community

Will This Work?

bobwells

Connecting a DVR box to the internet and was wondering about testing it instantly.

If I connect to my home machine via remote desktop and fire up the dvr software, should I be able to view the cameras on my home desktop even though I'm on line at this end?

I hope I'm explaining this OK.

cheers

Bob

there is a thread on this subject last year. if you google port forwarding that should give you some good advice.

Trade Member

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!!

Martin Hanfo

CCTV - Intruder Alarms - Access Control - Security Lighting - Locks

Covering South Wales

07903 967045

Connecting a DVR box to the internet and was wondering about testing it instantly.

If I connect to my home machine via remote desktop and fire up the dvr software, should I be able to view the cameras on my home desktop even though I'm on line at this end?

cheers

Bob

It should work fine (although it is not a very save way of doing it). When you connect to your home machine via remote desktop and then start the DVR software the router will handle the connection automatically from your DVR to your home machine and further to where you are.

But you cannot connect directly to your DVR that easily. For example if you have the DVR software on a laptop and try to connect to the DVR at home from a hotel room it will not work.

Remote desktop has the disadvantage that it is slower than directly connecting to the DVR. Advantage is that you can access other stuff as well on your home PC.

cheers,

Alex

But you cannot connect directly to your DVR that easily. For example if you have the DVR software on a laptop and try to connect to the DVR at home from a hotel room it will not work.

Why can't you connect to the dvr from a hotel room connection? Assuming like most dvr's no port forwarding is needed at the viewing end and the hotel internet connection dosen't have any nessaery ports closed.

cheers

Bob

When you've completed the dvr setup at home and programmed any portforwarding needed the remote desktop should work fine albeit a bit slow. I think the remote desktop should work just the same as if you were sat at your pc at home. It's still only one client connected to the dvr at a time ( some dvr's only allow one client connection at a time).

remote software used to acces anpother pc is very slow, add that to the cumbersome dvr software i think this is not a good way to go forward.

you would be better installing the software on your 'travelling' pc and et a fixed ip

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

remote software used to acces anpother pc is very slow

Not necessarily, it can be very effective and quite quick.

HOWEVER in this case I think the chances are that it will give very poor results as the way that remote access software works is not really designed to deal with moving images. It's built to deal with things that are structured and that it has some understanding of, e.g. windows, mouse pointers, menus, text etc. so that it can transmit changes quickly and efficiently to the remote.

Archived