Security Installer Community

Very Cold Cameras

rogers

I'm planning on installing a camera in an outside location that sometimes goes down to -20C or even -30C a few times a year.

I quite fancy one of the Sony Hi Res Super Had CCD bullet cameras I've seen on the RF Concepts web site. The problem is the cameras all say they only work down to -10C.

So my question is what might happen to the camera if it does go below -10C baring in mind the camera would be on 24/7? How much of a risk am I taking if I install one and hope for the best?

I have one cheap camera where in the manual it says it works down to -20C and if it gets colder then the image quality suffers until the camera heats up again but it won't provide permanent damage. Would this be the case for all cameras?

Appreciate any comments.

Would it be possible to put the camera in an environmental enclosure that is sutable with aditional heaters, not sure about wind chill if the unit is exposed, just a thought.

If possible I would like to avoid any big industrial boxes as it would ruin the appearance of the property a little and lighten my wallet even more... I'm already planning to spend too much on the camera. ;)

Your best bet would be a pelco enviromental housing (BP use them on the oil rigs) and put what ever camera in it you want.

lee

Lee Sutton

E-Mail: leesutton@centurianfire.co.uk

Phone: 0845 094 9870

CENTURIAN FIRE & SECURITY (part of centurian group limited)

Thanks for all the suggestions for far.

I probably should have made it clearer that this is for a home/DIY/hobby set up so I can't really have any big industrial cases (or costs). It needs to be discreet from an aesthetic point of view which is what attracted me to the small bullet type cameras.

I've now been looking around for an alternative to the Sony Hi Res Super Had CCD camera. I've found a couple of small cameras in the US that suggest they work down to -30C but they are NTSC.

All I really want is a good quality, small, PAL colour camera (480-550 TVL), sharp picture, true colour, wide angle lens (about 90deg), waterproof and works down to -30C for under

Thanks for all the suggestions for far.

I probably should have made it clearer that this is for a home/DIY/hobby set up so I can't really have any big industrial cases (or costs). It needs to be discreet from an aesthetic point of view which is what attracted me to the small bullet type cameras.

I've now been looking around for an alternative to the Sony Hi Res Super Had CCD camera. I've found a couple of small cameras in the US that suggest they work down to -30C but they are NTSC.

All I really want is a good quality, small, PAL colour camera (480-550 TVL), sharp picture, true colour, wide angle lens (about 90deg), waterproof and works down to -30C for under

Archived