Security Installer Community

Cameras In Public Toilets?

p.jones3

Bit of a strange one, Just installed a CCTV system into a pub cameras everywhere. The lanlord has stated that he has a drug problem in the pub toilets and wants to catch the offenders. He has asked me what he is aloud to do as far as placing cameras in the toilets. any help would be greatly received. also if we are aloud to do this (data protection and all that) can we install coverts?

again thanks for ANY imput but i need to know that any action we take is legal

All the best

Pete

I think its ok providing you can not see any urinals or toilets. We have a site like this.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Bit of a strange one, Just installed a CCTV system into a pub cameras everywhere. The lanlord has stated that he has a drug problem in the pub toilets and wants to catch the offenders. He has asked me what he is aloud to do as far as placing cameras in the toilets. any help would be greatly received. also if we are aloud to do this (data protection and all that) can we install coverts?

All the best

Pete

The firn I used to work for had to do a covert job in a WC. (No comments please!)

One "Gentleman" was smearing you know what on the doors, once his ID was established the covert was removed.

It looked at the cubicle doors from outside only. :'(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

The firn I used to work for had to do a covert job in a WC. (No comments please!)

One "Gentleman" was smearing you know what on the doors, once his ID was established the covert was removed.

It looked at the cubicle doors from outside only. :'(

Snap luggsey :D

About 15 years ago I had to install a covert camera in the corridor outside a loo, to try and identify the phantom crapper who was plaguing a large HQ building.

For two months, there were no further incidents, until a gang of laptop thieves decided to pay a visit, and very quickly wished they hadn't ;)

In answer to the original question, I would strongly recommend that the client does not install any CCTV in the WC's (for various reasons), and with regards to the drugs problem, there are other techniques which could be considered, and certainly the local police Crime Prevention Officer may be able to advise on these in more detail.

Incidentally, for anyone that's interested, the Information Commissioner has launched the revised "CCTV Code of Practice - 2008" today, so no prizes for guessing what I'll be reading over breakfast tomorrow :lol:

p.jones3,

As the cameras would be installed on private property, provided the client complies with all relevant requirements of the Data Protection Act, and given that there is no other specific legislation that might be applied (save for a very dubious argument under the Human Rights Act :no ) then it would probably not be illegal, but having said that, in my opinion it would also be a very bad idea.

If there is a known problem with drug dealing which has to be tackled, it would perhaps be better to contact the police and see if they would be interested in participating in a covert operation, so the client provides the hidden camera gear, and the police provide the manpower.

There would probably be some requirement for compliance under RIPA 2000, but they would be able to advise on that.

A highly publicised successful operation would provide the greatest degree of deterrence, although the benefits may only be short lived.

All the best

Pete

There are loads installed in school toilets, what's the difference?

Positioning and areas covered are the trick.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

There are loads installed in school toilets, what's the difference?

Positioning and areas covered are the trick.

Just after Easter I upgraded a system in a North London School where I installed cameras in the kids toilets.

The cameras were focused on the hand basins and cubicle doors, so modesty was observed.

The installation was carried out using steel conduit in term time so everyone knew that the cameras were being upgraded.

to summarise if you can have cameras in a schools toilet I can't see a problem with a pub.

Richard

This may help........(extract from the new 2008 CCTV code of practice)

"In areas where people have a heightened expectation of privacy, such as changing rooms or toilet

areas, cameras should only be used in the most exceptional circumstances where it is necessary

to deal with very serious concerns. In these cases, you should make extra effort to ensure that

those under surveillance are aware"

Archived