Security Installer Community

Alarm Dialler

I have an informa speech dialler 12volt. I need to connect my ESP fire alarm 24v to it.

The informa dialler accepts up to 15volts so how do I reduce the output of the fire alarm to 12 volts?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

easiest way is as amatureandy suggests'

is this commercial or your own gaff? the kit is a 'life saver' so getting a pro in would really be the best option just in case to louse it up :unsure:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just back tracking.... i read this as the fire panel is 24v and the speech dialler supply is 12v... so can't see how a relay would help...?!

Apart from that..... for future reference, Alarmtronic make a handy little pcb regulator that converts 24 to 12 volt and is handy for the old SD2's etc or anything else on 12 volts.....

Just back tracking.... i read this as the fire panel is 24v and the speech dialler supply is 12v... so can't see how a relay would help...?!

would expected him to fit a seperate psu, then use a relay to 'dry' trigger it. cheaper option parts wise than a new dialer i'd think.

if it were me, i might have got all sneaky and supplied the digi off one of the in series 12v standby batteries via a fuse, need to be careful though i don't stuff 24 volts in to the dialer input :unsure: so which battery to use would be an issue.

bet now i i'll get all told off and chastised over some obscure regs or other :rolleyes: (so dead lucky i don't do fire alarms then folks :P )

regs

alan

It's a bit naughty using the fire alarm to power external equipment! :oops:

but if it's was mounted inside the panel - it's not strictly external tee! hee!

seriously though, and just a thought (i hope i'm not causing any trouble :unsure: ) why do they have such a reg? after all, the sirens/bells, over door indicators and detectors are all external to the panel surely, and draw far more current :wacko: .

regs

alan

but if it's was mounted inside the panel - it's not strictly external tee! hee!

seriously though, and just a thought (i hope i'm not causing any trouble :unsure: ) why do they have such a reg? after all, the sirens/bells, over door indicators and detectors are all external to the panel surely, and draw far more current :wacko: .

regs

alan

It dosen't matter where it's installed, if it's not approved fire alarm equipment it shouldn't be powered from the fire alarm.

If el'cheapo dialer has a fault and zaps the panel, lightning strike in the phone lines for example which happens an awful lot round here, the fire alarm system can be disabled which pretty much makes it useless and lives can be put in danger.

Simple rule, don't power any non-fire alarm equipment off of a fire alarm. I can't be bothered to look up the reg number!

-_-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Had the debate before but as far as I'm concerned, if battery standby is accounted for then i can't see any issues in using the panel's 24volt auxillary output (providing it's fused) to power local equipment such as an autodialler, whether mounted in the fire panel or bolted next to it.

Wouldn't advocate putting door magnets on it, but think that the competent design engineer should have the ability to make a judgement call on whether an item of equipment is suitable to be powered direct from the panel or not.

Archived