Security Installer Community

Wireless Cctv

miaren

Hello all,

My builder neighbour wants a system consisting of 2 Day/Night cameras with IR lamps, transmitting to his house wirelessly, with excellent line of sight, to a local DVR.....(why not store locally?.....nope.. remotely!)

However, before asking for a quote, has seen the "Maxsecurity" site and is convinced himself it can be done cheaply..

Has anybody used their kit, or can recommend (read guarantee) a manufacturer who has kit for this challenge.

Money is an issue..

:question:

What distance are we talking and is it true line of sight? System Q and others do wireless kit which does the job in uk restricted to 10mw unless you have a look on ebay and buy from china lol. No 2 sites are the same when it comes to wireless, you don't have to spend top money to get results providing you plan it out right. I now do a site test before installing it, basically fit the transmitter where you want it, the with the receiver hook up to a 12v battery (system q) and plug receiver in to test monitor, wounder about where you want to fit receiver until you get a decent strong picture which isn't waving about and x marks the spot.

Sometimes over short distances the antennas supplied are good enough but mostly over decent distances a waste of time. 1 way to overcome this is to use beam yagi type antennas (look like mini tv aerails) the rules state that you can only use these on the receiving end but it's of little point if your using a vertical polerized antenna on the transmitter and a horizontal on the receiver, really speaking they should both match, the reson you can't use a yagi at the transmitter is that it will add gain (increase power) from the transmitter end. Now if you decide to use them I'd personally look at using 1 either end to do it right (but I'm not suggesting you do as that would be wrong but I don't think anyone would bother you about it.... but it's in your hands) basically if you have line of sight then point the transmitter's antenna in the receiver's direction and then at the receiver's end move the antenna until they line up and with a test monitor on the end until you have a decent picture.

You can get vertical antennas with a higher gain for the receiver (will work on transmitter although not legally allowed I beleive) which will increase vertical performance.

Make sure both are mounted outside and as close as possible to each other with the minium of obsticles in the way. Failing this ebay 2.5w 2.4ghz transmitter flood half the town with the picture and risk getting a very hard slap on the wrist lol :-)

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

Line of sight is approx 100m, and I can confirm there will be no obstacles in the way.

Would I have any problem if the TX and RX units are mounted in IP56 Polycarbonate boxes? (the easy way to mount externally)

Line of sight is approx 100m, and I can confirm there will be no obstacles in the way.

Would I have any problem if the TX and RX units are mounted in IP56 Polycarbonate boxes? (the easy way to mount externally)

best to place the Rx's (if separate units) with a gap of a meter or 2 between them (preferably vertically)

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Just as Mavrick says it's important to run a test first to establish what you will get "on site" from a wireless system.

Any other wireless equipment running in the location could also be an issue, or if anyone nearby decides to start using wireless equipment in the future (wireless internet routers, video senders etc). Obviously if the site is quite remote and on it's own then this should not ever pose a problem.

Whenever possible go wired and guarantee the video signal getting to your DVR always (unless a piece of hardware develops a fault of course)! Wireless problems can sometimes be out of your and the users' control.

Just as Mavrick says it's important to run a test first to establish what you will get "on site" from a wireless system.

Yep fair point

Any other wireless equipment running in the location could also be an issue, or if anyone nearby decides to start using wireless equipment in the future (wireless internet routers, video senders etc). Obviously if the site is quite remote and on it's own then this should not ever pose a problem.

Interesting bit about the other wireless equipment, its either side of a "newish" estate (complete with local Radio Ham, looking at the aerials), so I have probably got my work cut out....

Whenever possible go wired and guarantee the video signal getting to your DVR always (unless a piece of hardware develops a fault of course)! Wireless problems can sometimes be out of your and the users' control.

I've been installing CCTV for 15 years and always gone hardwired, but "He" doesn't want to go through the effort of visiting the site if he thinks theres a problem...So hardwired is out of the question.

Thanks for the pointers.

• 2 weeks later...

Us hams won't give you any grief it's the cb gang you need to watch out for lol :-) tbh mate the only way to prove any kit is to site test it, system q did lend equipment out to test if you had an account with them.... this was last year but would think it still stood, for the sake of about 90quid it might be worth having a spare transmitter and receiver in the van to test on jobs with, I know it's not an everyday thing and 90quid is alot of money to some people in business (me lol) but can save time and hasssle at the end of the day and is sometimes money well spent but if you must ebay will supply some cheap stuff that will do the job..... if it's legal I'll leave that up to you lol...

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

tbh I do like to have my own test kit for surveys and being sure i'm spec'ing the right kit for the jobs, but I shan't worry about this one...They rang to say they did the job themselves, from Ebay for

Archived