Security Installer Community

Rg59 For Tv Coax?

Paul P

OK ill do a bit of recycling here to save me opening a new thread.... :P

So to confirm, RG59 is unsuitable for a digital (set top box) signal

What is RG6 and is standard TV coax CT100?

Currently I have recently fitted a new standard TV Aeriel and a new RTE (Irish TV) Aeriel. I have a box on the roof to combine the signals and have run RG59 from this to a Distribution Amp in the Roof Space. From this is a standard TV Coax (about 10years old) to the living room set top box.

My RTE signals through Digital are fantastic whereas my BBC1 etc etc aren't good at all

Can anyone advise me on what to go to first?

I appreciate this isn't an Ariel forum but hopefully someone can help

you might have more of an issue with the actual signal strength in your location than with your cable having problems. on shortish lengths not going to make a big difference between RG59 and Tv Coax, but for digital is tha bit more fussy so if easy to replace then best you do so

625 terestrial signal stregnths vary from channel to channel not sure about freeview, but i'd assume the same. from what i understand freeview won't go full strength until they dump the 625 terestrial transmittions in 2012, so i think you need to fork out

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
Id of said that RG59/U coax was ideal for tv but i wait to be corrected.

your right - its just better cable (killing set top boxes? ROFL, wonder how they get the stranded centre into a F type plug)

See i thought that the stranded centre was URM70, RG59 was a 50 Ohm coax and RG59/U was a 75 Ohm. Both with a solid centre core.

Id of said that the RG59 would be right, as arfur says more likly aerial or alignment ... or joints. All joints escpecially the tv type, are very lossy. But does your mixer prefer a different type of cable and does it need equalising?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

See i thought that the stranded centre was URM70, RG59 was a 50 Ohm coax and RG59/U was a 75 Ohm. Both with a solid centre core.

Id of said that the RG59 would be right, as arfur says more likly aerial or alignment ... or joints. All joints escpecially the tv type, are very lossy. But does your mixer prefer a different type of cable and does it need equalising?

i think RG59u is still 50 ohms - just a skinnier construction, bit like comparing Khylie M's with my wifes bum :unsure:

both entirely functional but when then theres choice's as to performance, form, displacement and structure to be made, then a closer 'technical' examination is needed (or maybe not? :lol:)

'lifted' from one of those really boring sites (note to self - i must get out more).

RG59U is available with either solid copper or copper clad steel centre conductor. It is suitable for basic analogue TV antenna feeds in residential applications and for basic CCTV systems over short cable runs. The copper clad steel type has high tensile strength and should be used when terminating the cable with F type connectors.

glad he asked no ain't he?

regs

alan

Arfur, i think that RG58 is the smaller/thinner one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RG-59

oops! seems my typo well spotted young man :P

the whole section for reference -:

Types of Coaxial Cables

The three most commonly used coaxial cable types for video applications are RG59/U and RG11/U. The "RG" number originated from the "registration number" allocated by the US military to each type of cable. The "/U" indicates that the dielectric is unbonded to the centre conductor.

RG59U is available with either solid copper or copper clad steel centre conductor. It is suitable for basic analogue TV antenna feeds in residential applications and for basic CCTV systems over short cable runs. The copper clad steel type has high tensile strength and should be used when terminating the cable with F type connectors.

RG6/U Dual shield is used for security systems, for analogue TV antenna cabling and for CCTV. It features a copper clad steel inner conductor. Tri-shield and quad-shield versions of RG6/U provide additional EMI shielding for digital applications.

RG11/U Quad-Shield is used for the same applications as RG6/U for either backbone cabling or for long distribution runs. It features a copper clad steel inner conductor.

link http://www.revealcable.co.uk/Help/c/Coaxial1.htm

regs

alan

So what is CT100 for?

CT100 (And CT125) is a basic low cost (and low specification) satellite TV cable.

The issue with digital TV is using a cable with sufficient bandwidth for current and future needs.

It is accepted that RG59, RG6, CT100 etc is no longer suitable for this application.

For a quality installation and to future proof the cable use cables such as WF100 or ANTIFERENCE 5540F.

These cables have a foam dielectric and are 75ohm.

If you are not sure choose a cable with CAI Approval.

Installation is important too, the minimum of joints, correct termination, keep cable runs as short as possible and do not crush the cable by bending the cable too sharply.

Hope this helps

Ilkie

Archived