Security Installer Community

Hello & Help With Dvr

theboardwalk

Hi My modem router is a Belkin

it does not have a setting for port forwarding but does have settings called

1. Virtual Server which asks for port settings this is done

That's all you should need, if you've got it right.

What port works for laptop access? e.g. 8000

Have you forwarded both TCP and UDP traffic on that port to the DVR?

NO!

A DMZ is usually a separate network, ideally accessed via separate port & cable, that is NOT behind the firewall, i.e. exposed to the internet unprotected. You should have no need to use this and I would advise you not to unless you can't make it work any other way.

This is what my (Netgear) router says about DMZ:

Specifying a Default DMZ Server allows you to set up a computer or server that is available to anyone on the Internet for services that you haven't defined. There are security issues with doing this, so only do this if you're willing to risk open access. If you do not assign a Default DMZ Server, the Router discards any incoming service requests which are undefined. This can be a security problem. You shouldn't check this box unless you have a specific reason to do so.

You don't need it as you already have a static IP.

Points noted i will disable DMZ The model number for the router good question

It is a Belkin ADSL Modem with wireless router Ver 5 is all i can tell you from what you are saying will it be correct if all settings on the DVR are correct, i set the remote viewer to static ip address and port number for the dvr

Sounds a daft question - but are you using the external public facing IP address of the router when attempting to access from home?

The 192. address will not work from home as this is an internal address only allowing access from within your network.

'J

btn_myprofile_160x33.png

from what you are saying will it be correct if all settings on the DVR are correct, i set the remote viewer to static ip address and port number for the dvr

Should be, but not quite as you've worded it as the DVR is behind a NAT firewall.

Remote viewer goes for Static Ip, port whatever you set IN THE ROUTER as the incoming port for DVR traffic.

Router takes this traffic and forwards to DVR which needs to have it's remote viewing port set to correspond to the router forwarding port.

Depending on how you configure your router (and what it allows) you don't HAVE to use the same port number externally and internally (i.e. on DVR) but it's probably simpler if you do.

Should be, but not quite as you've worded it as the DVR is behind a NAT firewall.Remote viewer goes for Static Ip, port whatever you set IN THE ROUTER as the incoming port for DVR traffic.Router takes this traffic and forwards to DVR which needs to have it's remote viewing port set to correspond to the router forwarding port.Depending on how you configure your router (and what it allows) you don't HAVE to use the same port number externally and internally (i.e. on DVR) but it's probably simpler if you do.
sounds like i have it all set up i will try it this afternoon when i get home, i have set the dvr router port number the same as stated do i need to put the static ip number into the dvrcurrent settings on the DVRIP Configip add.......as assigned by routerip port.......as dvrGateway....ip of routerSub net......as routerDHCP Modedns server.......static ipip add..............assigned to dvr by routersub net............as routergateway...........router ipthe remote viewer software should be set to static ip and port of dvrhope this is right
Sounds a daft question - but are you using the external public facing IP address of the router when attempting to access from home?The 192. address will not work from home as this is an internal address only allowing access from within your network.'J
I will be now, i think this is probably the problem

sounds like i have it all set up i will try it this afternoon when i get home, i have set the dvr router port number the same as stated do i need to put the static ip number into the dvrcurrent settings on the DVRIP Configip add.......as assigned by routerip port.......as dvrGateway....ip of routerSub net......as routerDHCP Modedns server.......static ipip add..............assigned to dvr by routersub net............as routergateway...........router ipthe remote viewer software should be set to static ip and port of dvrhope this is rightI will be now, i think this is probably the problem

Que?

You can try it from work too, it should be OK....

Just run the viewer from your laptop or whatever PC you have it on and set it to go to the static ip and relevant port.

The request will then go to the router and should come back in and get forwarded to the DVR.

It sort of depends how clever your router is - it may recognise traffic to itself and bypass the rules you set up, but it shouldn't. Or it may be less clever and just send the message out in which case it should come back OK from your ISP.

Certainly worth a go.

And I can't see any reason why the DVR would need to know what the static IP address is..

Que?

You can try it from work too, it should be OK....

Just run the viewer from your laptop or whatever PC you have it on and set it to go to the static ip and relevant port.

The request will then go to the router and should come back in and get forwarded to the DVR.

It sort of depends how clever your router is - it may recognise traffic to itself and bypass the rules you set up, but it shouldn't. Or it may be less clever and just send the message out in which case it should come back OK from your ISP.

Certainly worth a go.

And I can't see any reason why the DVR would need to know what the static IP address is..

have to wait till i go home lap top and the remote software all at home

but will let you know the results thanks so far

just downloaded the remote software and tried it through the desk top computer it failed as before just keeps reporting waiting for connection

Does it work OK if you specify the internal IP address?

And what do you get if you do a tracert to the external IP?

Archived