Security Installer Community

Hello & Help With Dvr

theboardwalk

Hi Hello everyone names Tony

Have just had a JPEG2000 Dvr installed in my business and was told i could connect it to my Modem Router and then view it remotley at home over the internet!!!! I have managed to connect the DVR to my Router all set up there i can then view it remotley with my laptop whilst in the business and the laptop is wireless conected to the same router but once i go home and connect it fails to conect to the router

I am normally very good with networks internet etc, having previously worked with computer hardware and networks, but this has got me baffled as far as i can see all is right

anybody any experience and able to help please, i saw the site that pionted me here the person has their dvr live on the internet please tel me how???

have you setup port forwarding on your router?

is your ip address static or dynamic?

let me know and i may be able to talk you through it.

Trade Member

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!!

Martin Hanfo

CCTV - Intruder Alarms - Access Control - Security Lighting - Locks

Covering South Wales

07903 967045

have you setup port forwarding on your router?

is your ip address static or dynamic?

let me know and i may be able to talk you through it.

Hi yes i have set up port forwarding my ip address is both static and dynamic i have a static as the installers told me i would need it but that was not true, once i read the manual, you can use either if using static my internet does not work at all my ISP state that when i log on it automatically goes to the static and i dont have to change anything,

anyway i tried to set up as per static and got no where so i then tried dynamic via a router as per the manual and hey presto whilst logging on wirelessly to the same router the remote viewer works, i am sure it is just a setting problem but so far have been unable to find it and as for asking the installers they have made it clear with regards to remote viewing they know less than me

I beleive it to be a Silverline JPEG2000 DVR 4CH model RD2 it also has the name VISUALL on the front

Hi yes i have set up port forwarding my ip address is both static and dynamic i have a static as the installers told me i would need it but that was not true, once i read the manual, you can use either if using static my internet does not work at all my ISP state that when i log on it automatically goes to the static and i dont have to change anything,

anyway i tried to set up as per static and got no where so i then tried dynamic via a router as per the manual and hey presto whilst logging on wirelessly to the same router the remote viewer works, i am sure it is just a setting problem but so far have been unable to find it and as for asking the installers they have made it clear with regards to remote viewing they know less than me

I beleive it to be a Silverline JPEG2000 DVR 4CH model RD2 it also has the name VISUALL on the front

Are you absolutely sure about your static or dynamic IP address?

We're referring to the IP address assigned by your ISP to your router. For a normal "domestic tariff" broadband your IP address will be dynamic, i.e. assigned by your ISP whenever your router logs on.

To access remotely in that situation you need to use a DDNS (dynamic DNS) service to update the changing links for you automatically.

Static IP can be assigned but most ISP's charge extra for that, and obviously tell you what it is.

Port forwarding basically links or "translates" (inside the router) a specific port (you choose it) on the external IP address to a specific port (as required by the DVR) on the DVR IP address - typically a 192.168.x.x address.

When accessing the DVR internally on your network (wireless or not) you just specify the IP address and port, e.g. 192.168.0.9:80

Are you absolutely sure about your static or dynamic IP address?

We're referring to the IP address assigned by your ISP to your router. For a normal "domestic tariff" broadband your IP address will be dynamic, i.e. assigned by your ISP whenever your router logs on.

To access remotely in that situation you need to use a DDNS (dynamic DNS) service to update the changing links for you automatically.

Static IP can be assigned but most ISP's charge extra for that, and obviously tell you what it is.

Port forwarding basically links or "translates" (inside the router) a specific port (you choose it) on the external IP address to a specific port (as required by the DVR) on the DVR IP address - typically a 192.168.x.x address.

When accessing the DVR internally on your network (wireless or not) you just specify the IP address and port, e.g. 192.168.0.9:80

Hi Yes I am sure, you are correct i had to pay an extra

When i tried to set up the dvr with the static ip it wouldnt even be found by the router and i beleive i cannot use it via static ip because my adsl modem has the router built in therefore it must assign the router ip to the DVR??? if i am wrong on this please correct me

I think you're misunderstanding how this works.

Leave the DVR on the router-assigned IP 192.168.x.x4.

You need to configure your router so that incoming traffic on port (whatever you choose or the DVR manual recommends) is forwarded to port (as defined by DVR manual) on 192.168.x.x4.

What make & model of router do you have? Somewhere in it you will have an admin option for port forwarding though it may be called something else like services or firewall rules.

I think you're misunderstanding how this works.

Leave the DVR on the router-assigned IP 192.168.x.x4.

You need to configure your router so that incoming traffic on port (whatever you choose or the DVR manual recommends) is forwarded to port (as defined by DVR manual) on 192.168.x.x4.

What make & model of router do you have? Somewhere in it you will have an admin option for port forwarding though it may be called something else like services or firewall rules.

Hi My modem router is a Belkin

it does not have a setting for port forwarding but does have settings called

1. Virtual Server which asks for port settings this is done

2. Firewall DMZ which is now also done

does this shed any light, when i search my ip it is the static ip as stated by my isp, i do not have DynDNS but it can be arranged

Firewall DMZ which is now also done

NO!

A DMZ is usually a separate network, ideally accessed via separate port & cable, that is NOT behind the firewall, i.e. exposed to the internet unprotected. You should have no need to use this and I would advise you not to unless you can't make it work any other way.

This is what my (Netgear) router says about DMZ:

Specifying a Default DMZ Server allows you to set up a computer or server that is available to anyone on the Internet for services that you haven't defined. There are security issues with doing this, so only do this if you're willing to risk open access. If you do not assign a Default DMZ Server, the Router discards any incoming service requests which are undefined. This can be a security problem. You shouldn't check this box unless you have a specific reason to do so.

i do not have DynDNS but it can be arranged

You don't need it as you already have a static IP.

Archived