Security Installer Community

New Battery Needed For Optima 2 Plus

kb1977

Hi

I need a new battery for my Optima 2 plus alarm. The one I have at the moment is this -

Yuasa - Valve regulated sealed acid type rechargeable battery

NP1.9-12

12V

1.9Ah

In the alarm manual, it states 'it is recommended that at least a 2.6 or 6Ah is used'

As far as I can tell, the Yuasa battery is not the correct one - but can someone explain what the '2.6' in the manual is referring to?

I have seen this battery for sale online - would it be suitable for my alarm?

Power-Sonic PS1229 12v 2.9Ah rechargeable SLA Battery - www.power-sonic.com/site/doc/prod/83.pdf

Or can anyone recommend a good battery to buy?

Many thanks in advance

Hi kb,

2.6 is referring to the Amp Hours that is in the battery.

Your alarm should be able to keep going for 12hrs on back up battery. This depends on how many sensors are fitted in the system. Once you have this then only can you calculate the best battery.

Why not get an engineer to check the system(service) and replace the battery. Remember there is also a back up battery in the bell box outside.

Phone round for quotes as it will not be that dear to get a company out to service the system.

!

as Scottish Engineers says above,

the calculation is the systems current draw when set say 300 ma (1/3 amp), then divide that into the battery rated amp hours.

a 1.9 battery will provide 1 amp for 1 .9 hours if properly charged and in good condition, you can use this method to decide how long a battery will last on different current levels drawn.

having a lower than recommended battery will result in a lower than recommended (12 hours) stand-bye time, and will come into play if the mains fails for a prolonged continuous period, this has more ramifications for rural than central town buildings.

so what i'm saying is, there is no need to panic or lose sleep, but it is best have a larger battery fitted and i would have the largest size the panel can support for the difference in cost, batteries lose performance pro rata over the years it is used, so the larger battery will remain 'within spec' for longer.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

the values you give are quite old, as per your alarm......any battery size between the two values will be okay, providing it fits in the space.... generally the higher you go the better, up to the maximium stated by the manufactor.... do not go below the minimium value stated...... :rolleyes: now just to support the others a little, if this alarm has not being serviced for a while, now may be a good time....

my only other advice is to go to a reputable source, when purchasing batteries.......

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

We are talking about a little 2+ here aren't we......... 12volt 2.8ah battery from maplin will do the job for you I'd of thought, don't worry if it looks bigger, it should be lol. Take lid off panel take battery off put new one on close panel lid, put code in press reset job done, if you blow yourself up in the process then nice talking to ya lol, byeeeeeeeee

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

If it is the metal end station version of the 2+ you could fit a 3.4ah battery and remember to check that it will go on back up by flipping the fuse out the spur as a common problem is the chsrging circuit fails on these panels.

!

Guest Dave the alarm man
If it is the metal end station version of the 2+ you could fit a 3.4ah battery

they (old ade) all took upto 6Ah

as a common problem is the chsrging circuit fails on these panels.

goes Mc Duff ;)

Archived