Security Installer Community

Veritas R8+ Tamper Fault

tomo2001

Over the last 3weeks my Veritas R8+ has gone off - more so when unset, on numerous occasions.

When you enter your code the alarm switches off but on the keypad the Tamper light is on.

I have checked PIR sensors where applicable and these appear ok. Am I right in saying that in the control panel there are two tamper circuit connections. One for the external sounder cover and one for the loop inside the house (PIR's). Also I guess these are normally closed (short circuit) as according to the install manual there are links in these connections when the panel is supplied from the factory. Therefore can I just link these circuits back out in the panel (one at a time) to see which circuit the fault is being caused or when I get the fault should one of these circuits by open circuit?

On removing the control panel cover lst night I noticed that the negative battery terminal was all 'furred up' with corrosion which had actually melted through the insulated cover on the spade connector. Is it possible for a duff battery to cause tamper faults and can the battery be left out to prove if this is the cause of the fault?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me potty at the moment.

Hi ,

Yes the tampers can be looped out individually to pin down a fault , but first I would replace the battery.

Regards.

Be careful around hazardous voltages etc etc..

Can a faulty battery cause tamper faults then??

The system is 5 years old - hasn't been serviced. Do you recommend changing the control panel and external sounder batteries?

The system is 5 years old - hasn't been serviced. Do you recommend changing the control panel and external sounder batteries?

yes, yes and yes. (although the latter might mean a change of external sounder to one that complies to new standards re 15 cut off)

however as already mentioned there is 240v present inside the main box.

if you at all unsure get someone in who knows what they are doing - it wo'nt cost you (too) much but at least you will know its right

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

You've got a loose/dodgy battery connection - furring up.

Who knows what knock on effect that may have. Whilst the tamper may not be directly linked to the battery, several cause and event problems could/may be the cause.

Get the battery (and connector) sorted and it may sort your tamper out too.

I have made the battery connections sound again and cleaned the contacts on it back up.

Connected everything back up and went out for the evening with the alarm on full set. Came back to house with alarm sounding :angry2: Entered code and guess what tamper fault!!

Didn't think to whip cover off control panel and see if one of the tamper circuits was the culprit.

Plan to get some ladders - check inside of external sounder box and then look at linking out tamper connections to see which circuit the fault is on if nothing found in the sounder box. Sound feasible??

Hi ,

If you read the log and the cause of the alarm was Tamper , you can press Omit to see an extended display.It only distinguishes between bell/global and RKP/panel , but it narrows it down a bit more .

I would link out the bell tamper before getting your ladders out, if the fault disappears , then get ladders out.

An good engineer could test out all circuits and find the fault in minutes, saving you any more grief.

Regards.

Archived