Security Installer Community

Changed A Pir For A Shock Sensor

hayche

hello

i have took a 6 core pir down from my back room and looped this to 3 shock sensors on 1 zone.my panel is old and has no brand name on it so i cant find a manual.

on the panel the pir was hooked up to zone 3,aux + - and 24hr,i hooked these up to alarm,dc +12v dc - 12v and tamper on the shocks.

on the first shock each wire is doubled up which then goes to the second shock,from there it is doubled again,that goes to the last shock..

the 3 shocks are flashing green but wen i bang them they do not trigger the alarm...

i disconnected the power when i did this so nothing should be damaged..

i really do not know what to do now apart from try a different zone....

.my panel is old and has no brand name on it so i cant find a manual.

If you can take a digital photo of it and post it here; someone may recognise it.

Of course if they do you'll need to go elsewhere to get an engineering manual, but you'll know that having read the site rules.... :whistle:

hello

i have took a 6 core pir down from my back room and looped this to 3 shock sensors on 1 zone.my panel is old and has no brand name on it so i cant find a manual.

on the panel the pir was hooked up to zone 3,aux + - and 24hr,i hooked these up to alarm,dc +12v dc - 12v and tamper on the shocks.

on the first shock each wire is doubled up which then goes to the second shock,from there it is doubled again,that goes to the last shock..

the 3 shocks are flashing green but wen i bang them they do not trigger the alarm...

you have wired them in parallel, the zone and tamper should be in series, but its a total botch up having all three on one zone anyway as if they false alarm you won't know which one did it.

get a better panel.

hello

Sounds like you have the tampers and alarm circuits connected in parrallel instead of series.

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

hey thanks for the quick replys and help....

i understand it is a bit of a botch having all 3 on 1 zone but my house is laminated throughout and i do not like visible wires,so running new cables is a no no untill i get new floors heh.

my house is also insured as having no alarm.

Sounds like you have the tampers and alarm circuits connected in parrallel instead of series

thankyou for pointing my problem out,any info on how to wire them right would be greatly apreachiated..

i understand it is a bit of a botch having all 3 on 1 zone but my house is laminated throughout and i do not like visible wires,so running new cables is a no no untill i get new floors heh.

thankyou for pointing my problem out,any info on how to wire them right would be greatly apreachiated..

if you upgrade the panel you could have wireless sensors[class 6 pro stuff] not B&* DIY ****.

I will try and explain this the best I can...

I presume you have gone into your first shock sensor and out to your second and so on with the cable..

Keep your + and - DC as they are on all 3 shocks.

If you are using say blue and yellow for your alarm pair, you need to join the blues together by twisting and soldering(put the joins in tape too so they can't touch anything) in both 1st and 2nd shock.

Put one yellow in one alarm terminal, and the other yellow in the other alarm terminal,do this on both the 1st and 2nd shock.

On the last (3rd) shock, connect the blue into one alarm terminal, and the yellow into the other.

For the tamper/24hr, do exactly the same.

I hope this helps, obviously you may be using a different colour scheme but you should get the picture.

If eg you have 2 wires going into the first shocker alarm connector you should only have 1 going in and 1 coming out the 1 going out will then feed into the 1 going in on the next shocker and the 1 coming out of shocker 2 will feed into the first connection of the alarm connection for shocker 3. The 1 coming out of shocker 3 should then be connected back to the one that is now flopping around shocker 2 and so on back to the original pair. Do the same with the tamper pairs.

Now lets use colours... If your original alarm pair was say blue and yellow... Take the blue and connect it to the first alarm connection then out of the other alarm connection take a blue and feed it to the next shocker ie shocker 2 on the first alarm connection of shocker 2 and then take a blue out of the second alarm connection of shocker 2 and feed it into the first alarm connection of shocker 3. Now put the yellow wire that you have in shocker 3 into the remainding alarm connection of shocker 3 and it in turn goes back to shocker 2 where both yellows are to be joined together in an appropriote manner providing good reliable connection or if the shockers have a spare connection point you could connect them to that, then join the yellows up in like manner in shocker 1.

I would just like to thank you for your question and I am gaining the mastery over my dyslexia bit by bit and this is therapy for me so thanks again.

Now if you followed the instruction above well done. You would now do the same for the tamper circuit using the tamper pair of colours and all should be fine...

Although in an ideal situation we would have 1 zone per detector, it is possible using the right type of shocker to identify the 1 that activates first.

Just to round off

The pair providing the power to the shockers will of course be wired in parallel.

Best wishes

Vince

PS This post reminds me of Georgio bless him

As mentioned though,

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

hello

first recommendation is have the system looked at by a pro installer, it's old and may not be functioning properly and you modification from pir to shocks may leave you less well protected. either way you will not know which shock has triggered if a false alarm occurs. he/she will soon put to rights the wiring error and access your system for suitability to your current needs so the cost would be well worth while (get a ruff quote before engaging), nobody wants to spend money but the alarm don't owe you anything so why not slash a little tlc on it? give it a 'make over :yes:

failing that you have been very lucky not to short out and blow a fuse or damage your panel - i hope thus far - you may still blow it up if you tinker further so i don't advise you to do so.

but if you want to carry on entirely at your own risk, have you wired the 'shocks' in in series?

say you have used green and blue (just for example) as your alarm 'loop', on the two intermediate shock's put one of the blues only onto the device C and the other blue into & NC terminals, joint the greens carefully and insulate DO NOT USE ANY 'SPARE' TERMINALS for this, and best to use small terminal block or solder the joint and cover with heat shrink sleeving assuming - you have and can use a soldering iron safely.

on the last shock put the blue in C and the green in NC this completes the loop.

obviously substitute the above for the colour's used, make all connections clean, firm and without any exposed strands.

your tamper circuit (if fitted) should also be wired in series, so use the same approach as above but on the 'tamper' terminals by linking through on one colour by jointing, and the other colour to the tamper terminals.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived