Security Installer Community

Rapport 337 Battery Life

BestGear

Guys

How do you find the battery life on the 337?

I changed the supplied cells with decient high capacity items and its much better.

Do you find the unit discharges the cells if you dont use it for a week or so?

Also, I am confused as to what the switch is for on the side. It does not appear to disconnect the cells from the meter, as they stull run flat when switched off at the switch.

Do the cells still charge if the switch is off?

Anyone updated the firmware on the device?

Thanks in advance

Dj

I can't answer your battery question, but how are you finding the 337..?

It has been said by a few that it's not the best unit to focus camera's with and I accept that, but what are your thoughts on it's other features.?

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

I can't answer your battery question, but how are you finding the 337..?

It has been said by a few that it's not the best unit to focus camera's with and I accept that, but what are your thoughts on it's other features.?

Hi

I like it - well worth the money, especially as you can get it off many US sellers on ebay! With the current exchange rate, its a great price.

Issues with it:

Supplier probes are poor - works (obviously) but not in the same league as Fluke etc.

Battery life - my unit had very poor battery life - replaced the supplied Sanyo cells with new high capacity ones and all is ok. They are AA cells, so its cheap fix.

Screen - easily scratched - shame... not a big problem but they could have made the screen plastic more robust. It is not poor quality - its just like a screen over a DMM... would have been nice if it was harder.

Benefits:

One tool does nearly everything...

Meter functions work well - no issues

UTP - cable tester works well - no TDR but basic continuety works as expected. You get a dongle to attach to the remote cable end - dont loose it!

Monitor function - great! it is small (compaired to Computar B&W etc) but does work AND its colour - which the Computar is not... does NTSC and PAL btw, so dont worry about importing a unit... same version is sold world wide. Using it for focus in strong sunlight can be a pain, but I use a simple screen shield made for a digital camera (Nikon) and its all ok - was a few quid on ebay. If the screen was bigger, the whole unit would be bulkier and negate some of the benefits it has with its current size/handling.

Signal generator - useful - gives a colour bar test signal.

PTZ - EXCELLENT! nice and easy control of ptz units from the keypad - saves so much work when setting up limits etc. I would nearly say its worth it just for that function!

Comes with a nice durable carry case, which also holds the probes and the car charging lead.

So - all in all - its a good unit with no flaws.... ideal for daily use. I would certainly buy again.

Hope that is of use!

DJ

i'd say that write up was a good example,

i'd think many engineers will thank you for the this report, the small screen in bright daylight was my concern. a lot of expensive kit out there which is seemingly good, can be very disappointing in practice, so well done and my personnel thanks

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

try adding a screen saver sold for tom-tom's - our engineers swear by them.

funny you should say about the leads but most of our chaps have put their probes in from their flukes because they have the 90 degree plug on them.

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

..glad that was of interest...

And...its strange what folks are like with probes ... I thought that one might have been down to me....!

Dj

my dad (RIP) great guy, but had one of those annoying sayings, he not being in anyway technically minded to cover it would spout -:

"the simple things in life are made more difficult by their very simplicity, really difficult things are made very simple by the easiest of things" and walk of with that superior knowing air about him, leaving me to fix the puncture on his ruddy moped in the rain :rolleyes:

i was going to have it put on his head stone - but just not enough room :P

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived