Security Installer Community

Replace Master Socket

graemekeatley

no doubt you had dail with a-g on it (or something) which used to get you redifuison radiogram programs on :rolleyes:

your as old Or older than me Dave

lol

sort of analogue 'paydio', the sort of technology they had in my school, consisted of a big cream and brown speaker and a massive dial on the front, only the science master was allowed to touch it on pain of death.

so much fuss was made we all thought we would be zapped with a death ray if we spoke loudly while it was on - well until a well aimed marble powered by a catapult put paid to that theory.

happy days

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

The 3 white wires (sometimes yellow) sound like the tensioners used in overhead dropwire cable which sometimes is run directly from the telegraph pole into the property.

Excellent advice Simon, if only mine was like that.....

2-wire cable direct from the telegraph pole the other side of the road to an old ceramic connector "thingy" on a bracket below my gutter - at least 40 metres unsupported! Then another 40-year-old 2-wire down to the NTE5A.

Anyway, we need to stop speculating now and see what the OP says in response. His original wording sort of implied he didn't (yet?) have a contract with BT which means that he can install what he likes but it won't work.... :whistle:

think he might have missed the bigger picture - is it likely that there is a line on the cable anyway ?

And is he paying anyone line rental?

In my experience BT rarely totally disconnect a line, so you can usually get a dial tone and often even receive calls, though you can't call out (except for testing).

Or it could even be connected to TalkTalk equipment in the exchange, which would be tricky.... :banned:

Hi

Thanks to everyone for the advice, i am just getting BT to do it as i have now taken a contract with them, it was the dropwire i was talking about the white and orange wires were correct as i tried them and got a dialtone, however the line quality was an poor so decided it is better to get a bt engineer to do and get it done right. But the advice was spot on

Thanks

Guest anguscanplay
Hi

Thanks to everyone for the advice, i am just getting BT to do it as i have now taken a contract with them, it was the dropwire i was talking about the white and orange wires were correct as i tried them and got a dialtone, however the line quality was an poor so decided it is better to get a bt engineer to do and get it done right. But the advice was spot on

Thanks

what number was on the line when you dialled out ?

Don't know as would not dial anything, just stated the number was not recognised

If you get a dial tone (sounds like you do) then dial ***** which is a test facility. This will tell you what the line is defined as.

You can then choose to do a ringback test as well.

Once you have the number try calling it; as I think I mentioned before incoming calls are often allowed on "disconnected" lines.

If you have a "poor quality" line that may just be interference from Broadband if that is also on there - it's often quite audible without a filter as a background hiss.

Guest anguscanplay
If you get a dial tone (sounds like you do) then dial ***** which is a test facility. This will tell you what the line is defined as.

You can then choose to do a ringback test as well.

Once you have the number try calling it; as I think I mentioned before incoming calls are often allowed on "disconnected" lines.

If you have a "poor quality" line that may just be interference from Broadband if that is also on there - it's often quite audible without a filter as a background hiss.

sorry guys but BT aint that dumb - a DISCONNECTED line is just that - disconnected , you might get a dial tone but it isnt going anywhere ( apart from BT sales oddly enough )

the 170 numbers are for internal BT use only and get frowned upon if end users start playing with em - plus you can do some serious damage to your exchange settings

Archived