Security Installer Community

Replace Master Socket

graemekeatley

the 170 numbers are for internal BT use only and get frowned upon if end users start playing with em

Are you sure? I've had BT staff ask me to use them, which is how I know....

And why are non-alarm related technical details of phone systems being edited out of my posts without any reason (valid or otherwise) being given?

Guest anguscanplay
Are you sure? I've had BT staff ask me to use them, which is how I know....

And why are non-alarm related technical details of phone systems being edited out of my posts without any reason (valid or otherwise) being given?

bit like engineer codes Andy - the lazy ones might ask you to just .......... but it isnt public domain

bit like engineer codes Andy - the lazy ones might ask you to just .......... but it isnt public domain

Maybe, maybe not, it's widely known and published (which makes it public domain - just search on BT line test in Google) and I've never heard of BT complaining. But it's not against the rules of this forum. Also, just out of interest I had a look at the BT T's & C's again and there's no prohibition in there.

What is in there, which will be possibly of interest to our original poster is the following:

25. If you want to connect equipment to our network other than by using a BT main phone socket, you must get our permission.

26. You agree not to connect equipment to our network:

that does not bear the European Consumer Equipment Standards 'CE' mark; or

that may harm the network or other customers' equipment.

If you do, you must disconnect it immediately.

Interestingly, no mention of the BABT approval - or is that now dead/superceded?

And what about old equipment, e.g. phones that preceded CE marking?

Guest anguscanplay
Maybe, maybe not, it's widely known and published (which makes it public domain - just search on BT line test in Google) and I've never heard of BT complaining. But it's not against the rules of this forum. Also, just out of interest I had a look at the BT T's & C's again and there's no prohibition in there.

What is in there, which will be possibly of interest to our original poster is the following:

25. If you want to connect equipment to our network other than by using a BT main phone socket, you must get our permission.

26. You agree not to connect equipment to our network:

that does not bear the European Consumer Equipment Standards 'CE' mark; or

that may harm the network or other customers' equipment.

If you do, you must disconnect it immediately.

Interestingly, no mention of the BABT approval - or is that now dead/superceded?

And what about old equipment, e.g. phones that preceded CE marking?

okay didnt mean public " domain " meant consumption, knowledgeof ,use of ....... etc etc , indeed ther`s a topic about it on this forum - look for the post by monty ( the bt engineer - apparently they change it now and again ) iirc babt is now defunct

Archived