Security Installer Community

Upgrading Ade Optima Panel

nemo

Hi all.

I have just purchased a property and am looking to find out whether I can simply upgrade the alarm control panel myself. It is currently an Optima panel which is showing signs of old age (keypad is very worn). I have done basic electrical wiring before so believe I should be able to change the panel if I know the bell, existing PIRs/Sensors will work with the new panel. What I am concerned about is what will happen when I open the panel, I presume I can stop the bell by removing the bell wires but am not 100% sure. I understand that some info' may not be available for obvious reasons but just knowing that a new panel would work with existing wiring/PIRs would help me...

Thanks.

Hi all.

I have just purchased a property and am looking to find out whether I can simply upgrade the alarm control panel myself. It is currently an Optima panel which is showing signs of old age (keypad is very worn). I have done basic electrical wiring before so believe I should be able to change the panel if I know the bell, existing PIRs/Sensors will work with the new panel. What I am concerned about is what will happen when I open the panel, I presume I can stop the bell by removing the bell wires but am not 100% sure. I understand that some info' may not be available for obvious reasons but just knowing that a new panel would work with existing wiring/PIRs would help me...

Thanks.

Hi,

it depends on the state of the install, however the bell should have a back up which you cannot stop by removing the power to it.

thats about all we can say on that.

Thanks for the reply. On this basis I am possibly looking at getting a quote for the installation of a new panel. Maybe one with fancy features that tells me on my mobile when I am being broken into, so I can send someone round ASAP. All depends on cost really, I can only budget for around

Thanks for the reply. On this basis I am possibly looking at getting a quote for the installation of a new panel. Maybe one with fancy features that tells me on my mobile when I am being broken into, so I can send someone round ASAP. All depends on cost really, I can only budget for around

Guest anguscanplay
It is getting me thinking more and more about it. If I get it done, I might as well get it done properly by someone that knows what they're doing.

cool - like alter says " best reaction for ages " , post back when you have some quotes and we will be happy to rip them to bits for you , just to make sure you dont get stung

angus

I think this is one of the best replys i have seen by a new member.

you have taken advice given and are planning to act on it, knowing it is worth doing the right way.

you would be shocked at how many ppl come on here ask our advice and then say we are holding back and will not help them.

Well done to you and welcome to the site.

I came onto the site with an open mind. It looks easy changing the panel on the face of it. But rather than take all the wires out and yank the panel out hoping for the best, I thought I'd do some research first. And that initial research suggests it's more trouble me doing it which could lead to allsorts of other problems, the main one I fear is the alarm going off with no way of stopping it and annoying the new neighbours (without taking a lump hammer to the bell box, not ideal). So I am off to find out how much it is going to cost me to have it professionally sorted. I consider it to be one of my main priorities in the house I have just purchased, before I start filling it up with contents...

And thanks for the warm welcome. Very informative site!

I came onto the site with an open mind. It looks easy changing the panel on the face of it. But rather than take all the wires out and yank the panel out hoping for the best, I thought I'd do some research first. And that initial research suggests it's more trouble me doing it which could lead to allsorts of other problems, the main one I fear is the alarm going off with no way of stopping it and annoying the new neighbours (without taking a lump hammer to the bell box, not ideal). So I am off to find out how much it is going to cost me to have it professionally sorted. I consider it to be one of my main priorities in the house I have just purchased, before I start filling it up with contents...

your welcome mate, and as you said no point filling your house with stuff and no protection.

Welcome nemo.

As a DIY installer, who couldn't afford to pay for a professional install I'll add my 10cents worth.

If you CAN afford to pay a pro to do it, do so. As paid for jobs go these guys are not expensive for what they do - try a plumber in comparison. :rolleyes: (awaits abuse....)

What they will (should anyway :whistle:) do is make sure your system is designed to be effective against the risk you face. As a DIY-er you don't have the experience to know what sensors to place where to do that effectively. Or how to design and configure the system for your variations, such as night-time part-sets.

Get several quotes - at least 3 - and describe them here for constructive comments. Use recommendations from friends and family if possible. And consider carefully what sort of monitoring you need. Note NEED not WANT. :ninja:

Welcome nemo.

As a DIY installer, who couldn't afford to pay for a professional install I'll add my 10cents worth.

If you CAN afford to pay a pro to do it, do so. As paid for jobs go these guys are not expensive for what they do - try a plumber in comparison. :rolleyes: (awaits abuse....)

What they will (should anyway :whistle:) do is make sure your system is designed to be effective against the risk you face. As a DIY-er you don't have the experience to know what sensors to place where to do that effectively. Or how to design and configure the system for your variations, such as night-time part-sets.

Get several quotes - at least 3 - and describe them here for constructive comments. Use recommendations from friends and family if possible. And consider carefully what sort of monitoring you need. Note NEED not WANT. :ninja:

amateurandy, thanks for the welcome and the advice.

The pre-requisites I require are pretty simple for my needs:

1 Another sensor which is time delayed (focusing on the front entrance and stairway straight ahead) to be installed which means I can get down the stairs and to the control panel to disarm the system before the bell activates. And moving the existing sensor in the living room so it doesn't pick up stairway movement.

2 A decent control panel with good features (maybe phoning my mobile dependant on price) which is up to date and backwards working with the present bell, strobe and sensors. And one that is easily upgradeable in the future.

I will figure out how much it is going to cost by getting a couple of quotes then go from there. And I will report back in due course.

Thanks!

I think this is one of the best replys i have seen by a new member.

you have taken advice given and are planning to act on it, knowing it is worth doing the right way.

you would be shocked at how many ppl come on here ask our advice and then say we are holding back and will not help them.

Well done to you and welcome to the site.

i totally agree with the above,

for a comparison it's like the Sunday Morning car mechanic often who think if i twist this screw or alter that setting it will go faster or run cheaper. the answer is usually overwhelmingly no it won't if it was tuned and set up by a trained mechanic.

unless you have at least a decent understanding of security alarm systems and terminology used (i.e. our very own goblygook) then a decent engineers know how is way worth the money spent in peace of mind and the degree of security effected.

nothing stopping you bugging him/her with those curiosity questions and scratching that itch, just don't add too much to his/her time though ;)

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived