Security Installer Community

False Alarms

Hi folks, We had a Texecom Veritas R8 installed when we moved into our house approx 8 years ago. Everything was fine until two years ago when it started playing up (false alarms, upon a power failure it wouldn't respond to input of code etc). A friend of a friend who is an installer came around and said that the R8's seemed to loose their marbles after about 6 years and replaced the panel with a Gardtec CP8L. Everything was fine for approx 12 months, but now we seem to keep getting false alarms in the night from three different zones.

I have given up on setting it beforegoing to bed as it keeps waking us up. When I go to work I set it to omit two of the zones and it doesn't false alarm.

Seeing as we are going away in a couple of weeks and the installer is working out of the country, I could do with knowing if it is the PIR's creating the false alarm or whether it is something else! He checked the battery when he changed the panel and said it was fine.

We have five PIR's, four in the house and 1 in the garage. The troublesome ones are : At the top of the stairs (not facing any windows, pipes etc), one in the living roomstairing diagonally accross the window approx 20 feet away), one in the hallway stairing diagonally accross the front door approx 6 feet away, one in the kitchen (usually omitted because of the guinea pig, and one in the garage (never had a false alarm with this one). None of them are near to, or bothered by central heating pipes).

Do PIR's have a life expectancy?

Please let me know if you need any further details

And any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jase.

:(

Hopefully when the panel was replaced 2 years ago it had a new battery then........

It probably needs a service; I think most people on here would say at least once a year for a bells-only system. Could be spiders, loose contacts, weak battery, anything. But an engineer would soon sort it out.

If you're keen, have the installers manual and can work safely with mains power then there's a DIY servicing guide on the web site associated with this forum.

Brilliant, thanks!

I dont have the service manual, is there anywhere I could get a copy?

Are the batteries standard, ie. could I go to an alarm shop and just ask for a battery?

I am pretty good at doing anything really, the times I had to power down the Veritas and disconnect the battery to enable us to stop the bell was running into double numbers!

Jase.

I dont have the service manual, is there anywhere I could get a copy?

Not here, I'm afraid. Please have a look at the site rules and you'll see why.

Your best bet really would be to get a professional engineer in, especially if you didn't install it yourself.

Guest anguscanplay
No Problem thanks anyway!

Where is the DIY servicing guide on this site, I have tried to search for it but couldn't find it anywhere.

Jase.

there you go click here its the site portal ! good luck ( chances are you`ll be okay) but if you stuff it up I would charge more to put it right than if you just called me in first lol

hi S&C,

pir's alike any electronic device can go faulty, the older PIR's are mor eprone to false alarms than the latest ones due to advances made.

as said could be spiders, so run a vacuum cleaner hose at the bottom of them to suck up any insects hiding behind, open the pirs to see any webs etc showing infestation. the cable holes should be sealed to stop the blighter getting in.

word or warning, you may see just one massive spider inside perhaps causing you to be startled, so make sure you are on a safe and steady platform :P .

so how did that brute get in there? when spiders are born they run away from mum and clamber inside the detector for safety, no food so they eat each other, sort of last spider standing if you like and is the one you get to say hello to :bruce_h4h: .

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I truly hope there are no spiders in them, I can't abide them (make my hairs stand on end just at the site of them)! Like I said before, the engineer who installed the system, is out of the country and I have to get it sorted before we go away, so looks like I am on spider patrol!

Second thoughts, I will make the wife do it LOL

Thanks for all the advice,

Jase.

I truly hope there are no spiders in them, I can't abide them (make my hairs stand on end just at the site of them)! Like I said before, the engineer who installed the system, is out of the country and I have to get it sorted before we go away, so looks like I am on spider patrol!

Second thoughts, I will make the wife do it LOL

Thanks for all the advice,

Jase.

you've unchained her from the sink then :hmm:

:P

Archived