Security Installer Community

Security Lights

brad2512

Guest anguscanplay
You may wire to outside lights/sockets as long as the cable enters directly into the rear of the fitting. Difficult with a flood! Seriously - not 100% sure on exact wordoligy, so not too sure if this counts or not! Whats others views? This all assumes you are not creating a new circuit, or extending from one in a special location or kitchen.

sorry lectrition but you cannot do sockets without part p certs - lights were exempted in the rethink

Angus ( havnt i read you on screwfix? )

sorry lectrition but you cannot do sockets without part p certs - lights were exempted in the rethink

Angus ( havnt i read you on screwfix? )

I thought you could do a spur?

However, it's all getting too unclear. I've got another spare socket upstairs that I can plug into and run the flex along the skirting for a few feet then out through the wall. Doing it this way will need a PIR-switched floodlight whereas before I was going to use a manually-switched one.

But then I've still got some old red/black cored T+E lying around..... :rolleyes:

I thought you could do a spur?

However, it's all getting too unclear. I've got another spare socket upstairs that I can plug into and run the flex along the skirting for a few feet then out through the wall. Doing it this way will need a PIR-switched floodlight whereas before I was going to use a manually-switched one.

But then I've still got some old red/black cored T+E lying around..... :rolleyes:

Exactly, Just shows how ridiculous the rules and regs are. Also, if i recall correctly, weren't they selling the new colour cable before the regs came into force?? if so, who is to say when the modification took place?

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

With some defined exceptions, Part P requires electrical work in dwellings (houses)

To be either self certified by a person of assessed competence ie. Sparky, or notified to local Building Control, who may (for a fee) arrange inspection of the work.

This is not a comprehensive interpretation of the Regulations, but the info

below will explain the situation as most people understand it.

1. Provided no new circuit is created, (e.g. no additional fuseway or circuit breaker is added to the consumer

unit), and the work in not in a kitchen or special location ie. bathrooms, outside any where with high humidity then the addition of an unswitched fused spur to

an existing ring main for the purposes of an intruder alarm system is not required to be notified to Building

Control under Part P of the Building Regulations, provided that no part of any of the of the installation work

undertaken compromises the building

Never Teach Your Apprentice Everything You Know

Very unwise advice in my view. The only way to progress is to freely share your knowledge and skills with others.

And what does your latin motto mean? ;)

IMO if you teach your apprentice everything you know 1.) He won't have to think for him self 2.) (and most importantly) one day he may take your job.

And as such I'm not telling you what the Latin means....... (crule to be kind)

Never Teach Your Apprentice Everything You Know

Andy, you are bonkers mate, LOL.
When I was in the corporate world (in IT) part of (most of) my job(s) was detailed understanding of contracts, as both buyer and seller. So I can wade through stuff like this really quite quickly to get to the relevant bits and real meaning. B)
would make a good chief engineer i think.
Too easy, and doesn't pay enough........... :rolleyes:

Archived