Security Installer Community

Security Lights

brad2512

Guest anguscanplay
Well, I took the trouble to actually READ the full Part P document (yes, I know I'm mad). :P

blah blah blah -notifiable.

OK, confess, who has actually read and understood this stuff. Given the firm but differing opinions offered I do seriously wonder. :hmm:

you need to read the guidance notes as well as the regs and the ammendments and the re-writes

just a couple of points external wiring isnt allowed without notification and external sockets are deffo not allowed , interesting point about the garage - how can you do anything ( ie an alarm ) without new wiring ?

sum it up simply - if it involves a special location you need to notify ( bathroom kitchen or outside )

Guest anguscanplay
Andy, you are bonkers mate, LOL. would make a good chief engineer i think. all chief engineers read things like this.

much better than been chief interference officer lol

you need to read the guidance notes as well as the regs and the ammendments and the re-writes

just a couple of points external wiring isnt allowed without notification and external sockets are deffo not allowed , interesting point about the garage - how can you do anything ( ie an alarm ) without new wiring ?

sum it up simply - if it involves a special location you need to notify ( bathroom kitchen or outside )

You'll see that I actually referrred to the guidance notes....................

I'd like to think that the Planning Portal has the current version of the regulations. If you think there are further updates please can you post a link.

The guidance I read is quite clear on what is OUTSIDE (not external) wiring (e.g. a power cable across a garden) and the cable direct to a floodlight fixed to a house wall isn't included.

Your point about outside sockets is specifically covered in what I read - i.e. it's notifiable.

An example re your garage point - my garage is some distance from my house and has power via a buried armoured cable. My reading is that I could install a light inside without needing notification. Not sure about a PIR floodlight on the outside though as it's not a house - good job that was done a few years ago. :rolleyes:

Similarly you could install an alarm in the garage using existing power, but getting the signal back to a main control unit in the house might be tricky.....

Guest anguscanplay
You'll see that I actually referrred to the guidance notes....................

I'd like to think that the Planning Portal has the current version of the regulations.

never had you down as that nieve

The guidance I read is quite clear

My reading is that I could install a light inside without needing notification.

see that ther Andy is the problem with this whole partp malarky - no two people will interpret the words the same way - i say any surface clipped wiring is notifiable ( problem is i forget which of the info leaflets we get through the door said it )

should be like gas - if you aint got the ticket you dont touch it imo

never had you down as that nieve

see that ther Andy is the problem with this whole partp malarky - no two people will interpret the words the same way - i say any surface clipped wiring is notifiable ( problem is i forget which of the info leaflets we get through the door said it )

should be like gas - if you aint got the ticket you dont touch it imo

And as Andy (if i recall correctly) alluded to earlier, who is to say when it was installed?

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

think it was the IEE

Since when have the IEE been in the habit of dropping leaflets through our doors. :huh:

Especially as they no longer exist......................

The Institution of Electrical Engineers or IEE (pronounce: I-double-E or I-E-E) was a British professional organisation for electronics, electrical, manufacturing and IT professionals. In 2006 it merged with the IIE to form the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).

Guest anguscanplay
Since when have the IEE been in the habit of dropping leaflets through our doors. :huh:

Especially as they no longer exist......................

The Institution of Electrical Engineers or IEE (pronounce: I-double-E or I-E-E) was a British professional organisation for electronics, electrical, manufacturing and IT professionals. In 2006 it merged with the IIE to form the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).

er trade ? dont ask me lol but dont get into a semantics either I posted a copy on here somewhere one of the " guidance notes " but i cant find it , might have been in the trade side but im sure you yourself commented on it so maybe not

Angus ( only one answer to this ask your BCO )

er trade ? dont ask me lol but dont get into a semantics either I posted a copy on here somewhere one of the " guidance notes " but i cant find it , might have been in the trade side but im sure you yourself commented on it so maybe not

Angus ( only one answer to this ask your BCO )

was it this?

odpm_20consumer_20booklet.pdf

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Archived