Security Installer Community

Ip Problem

Alarm Co

hi guys

im an alarm installer and do a phew cctv jobs etc

but a customer has askd about veiwing his cameras from another location i.e over the net

i aint got a clue can anyone advise me what where when who,,,

do i conect the dvr to a pc via the rs socket then conect to that computer via ip adress or is it easyer to just buy ip camera and conect to router

please help

one of those things i would to love to know for the future

cheers

Should be what looks like (well what is) a network socket on the back (looks like a larger version of a phone socket) type socket, do you have this?

If so like said above you will need a router and your customer will need adsl connection with public static ip address at the site where the dvr is. If the dvr is networkable there will be a menu for the ip settings. You need to find the port the dvdr is plugged into on the router.... depends what router your using they all vary but lets say you plug into number 1 on the router and it's something like 192.168.2.1 then you'll need to put this into the dvr's ip address. Then you'll need the gateway and subnet mask put them into the dvr. Router setup is dependant on which router you use, best to find one you like and stick with it, program the baud rate of the dvr into the port settings that your dvr is on etc. You'll need to set the public static ip into the router and setup something called port forwarding which basically means when you connect via the internet to the router it knows that you want it to open the port the dvr is connected to.

Probabally best to see if the dvr has a network socket and then take it from there, if it hasn't there are bits of kit that will let you view whats going on without the dvr having a newtwork socket, but we'll go down that road later,

so does the dvr have a network socket?

what router do they have on site if fitted?

System Q do a course on this type of thing might be worth looking into it.

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

Should be what looks like (well what is) a network socket on the back (looks like a larger version of a phone socket) type socket, do you have this?

If so like said above you will need a router and your customer will need adsl connection with public static ip address at the site where the dvr is. If the dvr is networkable there will be a menu for the ip settings. You need to find the port the dvdr is plugged into on the router.... depends what router your using they all vary but lets say you plug into number 1 on the router and it's something like 192.168.2.1 then you'll need to put this into the dvr's ip address. Then you'll need the gateway and subnet mask put them into the dvr. Router setup is dependant on which router you use, best to find one you like and stick with it, program the baud rate of the dvr into the port settings that your dvr is on etc. You'll need to set the public static ip into the router and setup something called port forwarding which basically means when you connect via the internet to the router it knows that you want it to open the port the dvr is connected to.

Probabally best to see if the dvr has a network socket and then take it from there, if it hasn't there are bits of kit that will let you view whats going on without the dvr having a newtwork socket, but we'll go down that road later,

so does the dvr have a network socket?

what router do they have on site if fitted?

System Q do a course on this type of thing might be worth looking into it.

very help full thanks

thinks im gonna check that course out

dvr is not networkable,

where do i get sub net mask from?

ip address from?

honestly guys aint got a clue

shamefull i know

where do i get sub net mask from?

ip address from?

The router does that for you.

You really need someone who knows a bit about broadband and networking to set this up for you if you "ain't got a clue".

Now, I remember a while back someone posting a link to a web site that had a really good description of the basics of setting up remote access to DVR/CCTV covering all the steps in a novice-friendly way......

Anyone know what/where it is? :)

The router does that for you.

You really need someone who knows a bit about broadband and networking to set this up for you if you "ain't got a clue".

Now, I remember a while back someone posting a link to a web site that had a really good description of the basics of setting up remote access to DVR/CCTV covering all the steps in a novice-friendly way......

Anyone know what/where it is? :)

if you dont learn you never know

how do i conect ljd dvr to router,, only got rs output on ,

this might be answered above, but i'm to tired tonight to look.

for LJD kit you will need a fixed ip adderss (not dynamic), LJD flog a router pre set up to their compliant DVRs. also on the disk supplied with it (colossus and leviathan's) there is a 'walk through' on how it's done with their flavour routers. but same gravy as most.

if you search 'port forwarding' (also called port triggering) in google you will find excelent site's that are of great help.

regs

alan

edit to add

only leviathan and collosus from LJD afaik are suitable for remote access as they have web servers built in, some but not all smaller budget units will work over a lan but very slow transmitting images over it.

both the bigger DVR's are excellent but then they cost much more than the budget versions with cut down feature (psssst! thats why they are priced lower but keep it to yourself ;) ).

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived